Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

How student finance awards are calculated

​What your award amount will be based on​

The amount you can get depends on whether you're an independent or dependent student. 

Independent students ​​

If you’re an independent student, the amount you receive will be based on the estimated annual gross income of you and your partner or spouse (if applicable) based on the year you’re starting your course.

Dependent students​​

If you’re a dependent student, the amount you receive will be based on the annual gross household income of the year before the year you’re starting your course.

Find out more about independent and dependent students below. 

Who is eligible for student finance​

How funding works

Funding is made up of maintenance grants and tuition fees. 

Maintenance grant​

The maintenance grant is capped at £5,500 for a standard course for the 2016 / 17 academic year. 

This grant is to help towards living expenses, eg accommodation, travel, food and books. 

Additional sums are allowed for periods in excess of the standard academic year.

Tuition fees ​

Based on a £10,500 course, the maximum we’ll contribute towards tuition fees per academic year will be £9,000. 

Based on a £9,000 course, the maximum we'll contribute towards tuition fees per academic year will be £7,500. 

You’ll have to contribute at least £1,500, but you can get a loan from NatWest to cover this cost. 

Parents' payments towards tuition fees

If your household income is below £26,750, you’ll receive the maximum amount of help towards tuition fees for that academic year (£9,000 or £7,500 based on a £9,000 course for 2016 / 17) and the maximum grant available. 

If your household income is between £54,000 and £90,000 you will receive some assistance towards fees, but won't receive a maintenance grant. 

To get an idea of what you’ll have to contribute, you can use the following calculation:

gross household income - £26,750 x 20.25% = parent contribution​ 

​​If you have more than one child at college / university at the same time​​

If you have more than one child at university at the same time, the assessment is slightly adjusted. 

C​ontact Student Finance for more information. 

Maximum parental contribution​

You’ll be treated as a maximum parental contributor if:

  • you don’t complete or submit an income statement form 
  • your joint net capital assets, excluding your main residence (eg ​other properties, stocks, shares, bonds, good will of a business, tangible or moveable assets) are above £500,000 
  • your household income is above £98,355 (based on one student at university)

If you’re a maximum contributor, you’ll be responsible for your child’s living expenses and tuition fees. 

As of 2016 / 17, the maximum we’ll pay towards tuition fees will be £9,000 or £7,500 for a £9,000 course. This is excluding any medical clinical based degrees. 

Which parent's income will be considered?​

Parental contributions are required from the actual or legally adoptive parents.

If a parent is divorced or legally separated and is now living with a partner or remarried, that partner's income will be taken into account when assessing the award. 

You’ll need to tell us if you’d prefer the student's natural parent to declare their income instead of the partner's. 

Income and assets used to determine funding​

We assess:

  • gross income from all sources​
  • income under a trust arrangement
  • business profits (losses aren't taken into consideration)
  • shares in either a public or private company
  • any beneficial ownerships or holdings in a business
  • any beneficiaries of any trusts

We'll request a copy of certified accounts or any other details that may be needed to assess an award. 

We won’t grant awards based purely on an income basis if your capital assets and general financial position are considered good enough to meet the expenses involved.

Exceptional circumstances​​​​​

In exceptional circumstances, eg where a parent dies, becomes seriously ill, is unable to work or has been made redundant through compulsory redundancy, we can take income for the current year into account if the income has been reduced by 20% or more. 

Exceptional circumstances don’t include retirement or the decision to give up paid employment.

Scottish universities​ and those outside the UK

Funding for courses undertaken at Scottish universities or outside of the UK ​will be restricted to the equivalent level of funding for a similar course at an English university.​

Back to top
rating button