Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

An explanation of how student finance is calculated

How funding works

Student Finance will pay towards living expenses and tuition fees.

Independent students

If you're an independent student, the amount you receive will be based on the annual gross income of you and your partner or spouse (if applicable) for the academic year in which your course starts

Dependent students

If you're a dependent student, the amount you receive will be based on the annual gross household income of your parent(s) or guardian for the year before the academic year in which your course starts

How much we'll pay

The most we'll pay towards tuition fees will be £9,250.

This is excluding any medical based degrees and foundation level arts related subjects.

The award for a one year course at Level 3 in an arts-related subject is limited to the cost of a comparable course provided by Highlands College.

Parental income

We take into account the household income of your parent(s) or guardian that you live with for the year before the academic year in which your course starts.

If you live with a parent who is divorced or separated and is now living with a partner or remarried, you can choose to take into account that partner's income or your other natural parent's income.

Income and assets used to determine funding

We assess:
  • gross income from all sources
  • income from a Trust
  • business profits (losses are not taken into consideration)
  • shares in either a public or private company
  • any beneficial ownerships or holdings in a business
We will request a copy of certified accounts or any other details that may be needed to assess an award.

Scottish universities​ and those outside the UK

Funding will be to the same level of a similar course at an English university.

When no funding is available

No funding is provided if:

  • your household income is £200,000 or more
  • your assets are £500,000 or more (excluding the house that you live in)
  • you don't complete an income statement form
Contact the Student Finance team if you fall into the above criteria but you intend to study any of the below:
  • medicine
  • veterinary medicine
  • dentistry

Exceptional circumstances

Contact the Student Finance team if you believe that you have exceptional circumstances such as:

  • a parent / guardian dies
  • a parent / guardian is unable to work due to medical reasons
  • a parent / guardian has been made compulsory redundant
Exceptional circumstances don't include retirement or the decision to give up paid employment.

Request an appointment

Although our offices are closed for appointments during this time the student finance team are still working remotely.

Appointments can be delivered via telephone or video call.

To request an appointment with one of our team, complete our online appointment request form:

Student Finance appointment request

If you have any queries before making an appointment you can email your questions to us.

Student Finance booklet 2021/22 booklet

Student Finance Law 2018

Back to top
rating button