Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Higher Education support during coronavirus

Due to the latest Government announcement, we have less people in our office. If you call and there is no reply email us and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Support during COVID-19

Students should ask for support about COVID-19 from their university or Higher Education provider.

If you have concerns about restrictions in place in Jersey you should contact the coronavirus helpline on 0800 735 5566.

Student Finance provide support and advice for students accessing government grants for studying Higher Education provision. If you have questions about your application for this grant, contact us on +44 (0) 1534 449450 or email the Student Finance teamMissing information, incomplete forms, and inaccurate detail will result in a delay in processing your application.

Careers support for students returning to Jersey

Skills Jersey’s Career Guidance team offer support for students returning to Jersey through free confidential and impartial careers appointments.

 Further career support is available:

Travelling to and from Jersey

Students who have already travelled and are at their university and want to return to Jersey, will not be classed as travelling for the purpose of education. This means they may find themselves in breach of COVID restrictions. The advice for students already at university is to refrain from unnecessary travel. 

Those students who are studying critical courses, may still have face to face learning and / or placements, and they should follow all UK government and local guidelines in doing so.

If students on these critical courses do not want to return to the UK, they should contact their university immediately. 

List of critical courses

The following are classified as critical courses in GOV.UK's National lockdown:stay at home universities guidance:

  • medicine and dentistry 
  • subjects allied to medicine / health 
  • veterinary science 
  • education (initial teacher training) 
  • social work 
  • courses which require Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) assessments and or mandatory activity which is scheduled for January and which cannot be rescheduled (your university will notify you if this applies to you).

If you're travelling to and from Jersey you need to follow the Safer Travel guidance, including guidance on isolation when returning to Jersey.

Financial support for students with extended courses are due to coronavirus

In line with existing legislation we're able to provide financial support to students receiving maintenance grants who are mandated to complete their degree in the UK.

The student must provide evidence from the university that the course cannot be completed in Jersey.

This support will be on a pro rata basis to the annual maintenance grant they receive and the time they are required to be in the UK.

The request for support will be reviewed by the Student Finance team. 

Email the Student Finance Team

Repayment of the maintenance grant

There will be no request for the return of the grant payment. This should be used to cover any extra costs as a result of the pandemic.

If there is a reduction in fees charged by universities

There is currently no information about any reduction in fees charged by universities or any reduction in accommodation costs. In the event of any such announcements further information and guidelines will be published. Department for Education in UK has confirmed that support for students’ wellbeing will be increased and is being developed by individual institutions. Keep in touch with your university during this time.

Claiming Income Support: students on Island rather than university

The Minister for Social Security has agreed that due to the exceptional circumstance of the coronavirus pandemic, students from Income Support households who normally study off-Island and have rent expenses in the UK won’t be disadvantaged if they are forced either to return to Jersey during term time, or to remain in the Island once the Spring term has started. As long as students can demonstrate they have ongoing expenses outside the Island (such as a lease, or proof of rent payments) their parental household can get the adult component of Income Support for them as normal. This would also apply to students who would normally get Income Support whilst in Jersey but who do not have a parental household. For example, care leavers.  

Each case will be subject to individual review by a Determining Officer, and the payments will cease if the student’s situation changes. The Minister will review this additional support, based on officer advice, as the situation in the UK develops between now and the end of the Spring term.

If your child is back in the Island and you have not yet informed Income Support, email Income Support with:

  • confirmation of the date they returned to the Island
  • confirmation of any rent they are still responsible for

If rental expenses in the UK are no longer being paid, the student maintenance grant will cover living expenses during term time and Income Support will not be able to continue paying the adult component.

Students choosing not to go back to university in academic year 2020 / 21

Whilst we would encourage all students maintain their study, the department understands that some students might have been severely affected by these events and might wish to remain on Island.

Articles 31 and 32 of the Education (Grants and Allowances) (Jersey) Order 2018 are relevant here and coronavirus would be classed as an extenuating circumstance.

Therefore the department would not claw back any grant / fees from academic year 2020 / 21 if a student chose not to go back for academic year 2021 / 22. 

If students choose to go back later, there will be no funding for repeat periods of study as per Article 7(2).

Students at foreign universities who have not been able to travel back due to coronavirus

There is no provision under the Education (Grants and Allowances) (Jersey) Order 2018 for any support regarding this situation. For any families that find themselves in this situation and are in severe financial hardship please contact the department as soon as possible.

New student finance scheme

Work is being carried out to review the current scheme with a view to a new scheme being introduced for students starting university in academic year 2023 / 24.

Health information

Jersey students following courses of further education in the UK of 6 months or more are treated as though they are resident in the UK. Students will only be subject to any NHS charges when they are routinely applied to UK residents. 

It's recommended that students register with their university health centre when they enrol so they can access a GP (often based in the health centre) and receive an NHS number. 

Find out further information on the NHS website

Coronavirus testing and vaccine 

It is likely that universities will strongly recommend all returning university students will be tested for coronavirus on arrival at university and that those who refuse will be required to self-isolate for 10 days. Those students who test positive will be required to self-isolate in their accommodation for the required period at that time. If any students have problems with this, their first port of call should be the university. 

There are no plans to vaccinate students before they go to university and the UK have not stated whether university students will be included in their programme.

PCR testing

There will be a temporary extension to the free PCR test for students travelling from Jersey to UK on Condor before Sunday 21 February 2021. 

Students will be asked to confirm that this is their first return to university since 1 January 2021. Students will not be entitled to a free PCR test if they have already travelled to the UK and back to Jersey this year. 

Brexit information

Home Fee Status for settled status students 

Settled and pre settled status in Jersey is recognised as an immigration status by UK authorities. It is understood that students with these statuses will be treated in the same way as other Jersey residents. 

Students wishing to study at an EU university 

For students who are studying or wish to study in the EU, they should contact their university who will be able to advise them of the specific visa requirements needed. 

Jersey students who study in UK will no longer be entitled to participate in the Erasmus scheme. They will be entitled to apply under the new Turing scheme that the UK will be introducing. Further details will be published here.
Back to top
rating button