Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Distance learning degrees: financial help

If your course starts between August and December, you'll be able to apply for a reimbursement as soon as you've paid and started your course. 

Eligibility for funding for students who commenced post 2015/16, and those that have had a break of more than a year between each course or module, will be based on your dependent or independent status. 

Who is eligible for student finance

Eligibility for distance learning funding​

To be eligible for distance learning study, you must be enrolled with a recognised distance learning institute in England, Scotland or Wales which we've approved. 

You must also have lived in Jersey for five years immediately before 31 August of the first year of the course, or have 'Entitled' status and lived in Jersey for the previous twelve months. 

You can take a gap year of no more than 12 months within the previous five years and still remain eligible for an award. 

​Courses that are funded​​

The courses that we fund are:

  • ​​undergraduate degrees at recog​nised distance learning institutes
  • professional postgraduate courses, eg LPC

How to apply for funding​​

You can contact Student Finance for an application form.

If your course starts between September and 31 August the following year, you must submit your application before 31 August. 

If your course starts after 31 August, you'll be able to apply from September​.

How much you'll receive​

All new distance learning students will be assessed on an independent or dependent status. 

You must provide confirmation that you've registered on an approved course and paid the course fee before you'll be reimbursed. 

Who is eligible for student finance

Independent students​

We'll calculate your award based on the estimated annual gross income of you and your partner or spouse (if applicable), based on the current financial year (January to December) of the academic year that you're studying in. 

You'll need to provide up to date pay slips or proof of income. 

Dependent students​

We'll calculate your award based on your parent's gross income of the year before the academic year that you start studying. 

​Gross income​Percentage of course fees reimbursed
Below £34,000​80%
​£34,001 to £39,000​60%
​£39,001 to £44,000​40%
​£44,001 to £47,200​20%
​£47,201 and over​0%

The maximum award in respect of one academic year is £4,000. ​

​​How the award will be paid​​

You'll be told by Student Finance of the amount you've been awarded. 

Payment will then be forwarded directly to you from the Treasury Department shortly after​. 

Failing a course​

We don't fund repeat periods of study. 

If you fail or don't complete a course that we've funded, you can't be funded for your next course and you may have to reimburse the whole or part of any previous award made to you. ​

Back to top
rating button