Interview skills video
This video shows you how to approach a university interview, with key points to remember beforehand.
You will also find an apprencticeship interview guide, a corporate panel interview guide and employer tips on the Skills Jersey YouTube channel.
What will my higher education interview involve?
Interviews vary significantly between institutions and courses. They can follow a traditional one-to-one question and answer format but increasingly students are asked to complete tasks, either individually or in a group, or complete other forms of assessment.
How do I prepare?
- make sure you know where you are going and how long it will take you to get there
- read the prospectus and any course literature
- re-read your application particularly your personal statement
- find out about the current issues in your subject area and read up on them
- practice: arrange a mock interview with teachers at school or at Skills Jersey
On the day
- dress appropriately – you won’t need a suit but you should look clean and smart
- be punctual – take contact numbers just in case
- be enthusiastic - think about your body language
- if you are unsure about a question ask for it to be repeated
- ask questions – not things that are easy to find in the prospectus or on the website
- remember that an interview is also the chance for you to find out if a place is right for you so think about the whole experience
- make some notes on questions and answers, what went well and things you could have improved upon - ready for the next time
- sit back and wait for the offer
There are many websites offering information, advice and guidance on interview skills.
The Student Room website