Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Information and support when going to university in the UK

Below are some examples of advice and support when leaving Jersey to study in the UK.


If you’re moving into privately rented housing, most universities have support and will be able to answer any questions you have for finding housing. A housing guarantor is one of the things to consider when finding housing to rent in the UK.

Who can be a housing guarantor

A guarantor is a person who agrees to be responsible for your rent and your other legal obligations in a tenancy agreement. They may also be responsible for the rent and legal obligations of any co-tenants you share with. For example, if you or any of your co-tenants damage the property or don't pay your rent, your guarantor may have to pay what you owe the landlord.

What to do if you cannot get a guarantor on the Advicenow website

Who are guarantors and what do they do on the Advicenow website

Council tax

Council Tax is a tax collected for councils to go towards costs such as road maintenance and bin collection.

If you live in a house where everyone is a full-time student, you will be exempt from paying this. If you live in a house where someone is in employment, even if everyone else is a full-time student, you may have to pay but can apply for a reduced rate on

It is best to contact your local council if you have any issues with your Council Tax whilst studying.

Find your local council on the GOV.UK website

How Council Tax works on the GOV.UK website


When you arrive to live in the UK, you should register with your local NHS GP surgery and local dentist.

The healthcare system is different to Jersey. In the UK it won't cost you to visit a GP, however there is a charge for a prescription. If you receive a regular prescription, you should speak to your GP in Jersey before you go to university, they may be able to give you enough until you return to Jersey during the holidays.

Fees still apply for going to the dentist depending on the treatment you are receiving.

Getting medical care as a student on the NHS website

Taking your car to the UK 

If you would like to take your car to the UK from Jersey, speak to your current insurance company to check that you're covered, and how long you will be covered for whilst being off-island.

Contact Driver and Vehicle Standards in Jersey for further advise on +44 (0)1534 448600 or email


If you have any items insured in Jersey they may not be covered if taken to the UK. Check with your insurance provider before leaving Jersey as you may need to get a UK insurance provider.

UK phone number

Before leaving Jersey, you should check with your phone provider about costs whilst using your phone in the UK, so that you’re not charged expensive rates for using data or making calls. You may need to go with a UK phone provider.

Working in the UK

National Insurance number

You must apply for a National Insurance number if you would like to work in the UK. A National Insurance number works similar to how a Social Security number works in Jersey.

You can apply for a National Insurance number on the GOV.UK website or call the application line, 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday on +44 (0) 800 141 2075.

You'll be asked for your:

  • postcode (of your current UK address)
  • personal details (name, date of birth)
  • full UK address
  • employer's name and address
  • your occupation
  • your date of entry to the UK
  • your eligibility to work in the UK (eg student visa, student dependant visa, EU citizen)


You can find information on tax thresholds on the GOV.UK website.

A student's guide to tax on the University of Southampton website


The UK holds general and local elections, as well as larger referendums such as the Brexit vote.

Types of election, referendums, and who can vote on the GOV.UK website

Find out more information which elections you can vote in on the Electoral Commission as both a Jersey resident and a student.

Back to top
rating button