Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Leaving or changing university or course

​Failure and withdrawal

If you fail or withdraw from a programme of study whilst in receipt of a maintenance award, you will have to repay the unexpended part of the award for the term in which you left. You will also need to repay the tuition fees for the previous term that had been paid by the Government of Jersey. 

If you withdraw from a course due to ill health, no financial penalty will be incurred. Satisfactory evidence will need to be provided from both the institute and a doctor. 

Students are liable to repay an award in the event of a repayment being requested.

Transferring course

If you decide to transfer to another course either at the same, or a different, institute and this requires a repeat period of study, either a term or academic year, then you will have to fund this repeat period. The award can be re-instated once the repeat period has been successfully completed. 

It is sometimes possible to transfer an award to another institute. There are certain conditions that must be met including: 

  • getting an agreement from your current institute or, if necessary, both institutes if moving to a different one
  • written confirmation from both the institutes you are leaving and the one you intend to transfer to supporting the transfer on academic grounds will be required

If you are considering a transfer, it is important you speak to Student Finance in Jersey as soon as possible, and keep them up to date with any changes.

The course you are transferring to must be a designated or comparable course under the student finance award regulations.

Trailing a module

Institutes may allow you to progress onto the next year, trailing 1 or more modules from the previous academic year. To receive funding from the Government of Jersey, you must have completed and passed the previous academic year. 

If you trail modules into the next academic year you will be advised that you have until the end of the first semester to complete all outstanding work to enable your award to be re-instated from the beginning of the autumn term. If outstanding work is not completed, this will result in the funding from the Government of Jersey being withheld for that academic year.

Repeating an academic year

The Government of Jersey does not fund repeat periods of study. If you do not complete and pass an academic year and are required to retake the year either full-time or part-time you will have to self finance that year. You will be responsible for meeting your own maintenance and tuition costs. 

On successful completion of the repeat period of study, the award will be re-instated for the following academic year.

Absence from your course

Your maintenance award is related to your actual attendance. We may withhold or reclaim the appropriate proportion of your award for any period you are not in attendance. 

Exceptional circumstances 

Individual circumstances will be taken into consideration. If you are absent because of illness, medical evidence will be required.

Back to top
rating button