Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

How to register with Social Security (at Customer and Local Services)

Regist​​ering with Social Security

If you need to register with Social Security, you need to come in to Customer and Local Services at La Motte Street and we'll be able to register you. You'll need:

  • photographic ID (eg a passport, driving licence, or ID card)
  • the date you arrived in Jersey
  • the name of your employer or the place where you are working (if you have found work)
  • a safe address that we can write to you
  • fees for registering

Once we have all your details, you will be given a Social Security number and we will print your registration card.

You must show this card to your employer and you may also need to show it to your landlord.

Paying contributions if you’re employed

Paying contributions if you're self-employed​​

Registration cards

Why you need to regi​ster

You will need to register with us as soon as possible, as you need a Social Security number and registration card before you can work and be paid.

Both you and your employer will be breaking the law if you are employed for more than two working days or paid any wages or salary without your employer taking a copy of your Social Security number and photo ID.

Registering with Social Sec​urity if you're new to Jersey

If you've recently moved here, you'll need to register with Social Security (at Customer and Local Services), the Taxes Office, and with the Health and Community Services Department.

Becoming a Jersey resident​

Registering with Social Security if​​ you’re a Jersey resident

If you have turned 16 or are starting your first job and you don’t have your own Social Security number, you'll need to come to Social Security (at Customer and Local Services) and register.

It’s possible that your parents / guardian have already registered you and you already have a number.

Registering your child fr​​om birth

We are registering every child from birth.

For babies born in Jersey on or after 15 September 2015, we will register your child automatically and give them a Social Security number. We will also hold a copy of your child’s birth certificate on record, so there is no need for you to bring one in. 

To register your child if they are not Jersey born, or were born before 15 September 2015, you’ll need to come in with their original birth certificate. We'll give them a Social Security number which you’ll need any time you take your child to the doctors or pick up a prescription for them.

Parents or guardians can register a child up until the age of 16, after which they’ll need to come in and register themselves.  ​

​Registering in Jersey with a work pe​​rmit from another country

You may need to visit our immigration department before registering with us, depending on what country you have come from. You need to do this even if you have a work permit from outside Jersey.

The immigration department will give you a Jersey work permit which you must bring with you when you register with us.

Countries that do not need a work permit

Changing your blue registration card to a re​d registration card

You will need to change from a blue registration card (FR1) to a red registration card (XR1) if you are continuing to work and have:

  • started claiming your Jersey pension
  • taken the married woman’s option
  • have started to claim Survivor’s Allowance

You must then show your red card to your employer which will let them know that they are not to make any Social Security deductions from your wages.

Your employer will still have to pay their secondary contribution.

Pensions and retirement

Paying contributions if you're a married woman

Survivor's Allowance (widow's / widower's benefit)

Back to top
rating button