Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

If you have received a missing Class 1 contributions letter

​About missing Class 1 contributions letters

We send out letters every quarter (3 months) to anyone that we haven't received either any or enough contributions from.

The letters alert you that you have not paid enough contributions for a particular quarter.

You must pay contributions in order to claim benefits like sickness and pensions.

Reasons why you might have received a letter​

You might have received a letter because:

  • your employer hasn't submitted your earnings details
  • you were away from the Island for all or part of that time
  • you weren't working for all or part of that time
  • you earned below the lower earnings limit in any of the months
  • you're over 18 and in full time education
  • we don't have record of your earnings for this time

The letter will state clearly which three month period we're looking at.

What to do if you receive a letter

Don't ignore it. 

Not paying your contributions for long periods of time can lead to you being passed on to our Enforcement Team and they c​an take the decision to pursue you for any amount outstanding.

You should either pay the outstanding​ contributions or let us know why you aren't able to pay. 

Pay the outstanding contributions​

If you're self employed you should pay the outstanding contributions and tell us that you are now self-employed.

If you're unemployed you are still liable to pay these contributions.

Pay your Social Security contributions and instalments

If you can't pay

We can excuse you from paying but we must know why you're missing contributions.

You must complete the declaration on the back of the letter sent to you, sign it and return it to us.

We will then make a decision on whether or not to waive your contributions depending on your reason.

However, this is only a short term option. If you're going to be unable to pay any contributions either through employed or work self-employed work, you'll need to speak to one of our advisors about a long-term agreement. You might be entitled to help with covering your contributions.

About contribution credits

Caring for a child at home: Home Responsibility Protection

Students over 18 in full time education

Back to top
rating button