Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Opting out of paying contributions if you’re over 60 and retired

Paying contributions if you retire

If you’re over 60 and have fully retired from work, you can choose to opt out of paying contributions. 

Before making this choice, you should talk to us to make sure that you fully understand how your rights to benefits may be affected.

You’ll stop paying contributions from the first day of the month after the month in which you applied. 

How to apply 

You need to:

  • download the 'over age 60 election' form below or collect one from the Social Security Department 
  • complete the form and return it to us
  • take your birth certificate and Social Security registration card (if you have one) with you to the department

Over 60 election form

Change in circumstances

If you start work again, even part-time, talk to us about the possibility of re-starting your contribution payments. 

If you haven’t paid contributions, this will lead to a gap in your contribution record. Any gaps you have in your record can affect any contributory benefits.

Back to top
rating button