Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Become a supply teacher

Who can become a supply teacher

To apply to become a supply teacher, you must have:

  • Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) 
  • Department for Education (DfE) number

You may also be considered if you have your QTS but have not completed your Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) year.

You can apply as an unqualified teacher in exceptional circumstances, for example:

  • experienced individuals with Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS)
  • Jersey Graduate Teacher Training Partnership (JGTTP)
  • those holding an iPGCE

As an QTLS teacher you must be recognised by the Department for Education (DfE) to be considered.

If you're a qualified teacher, but have had long breaks in service of 4 years or more, you’ll need to demonstrate that you have kept your skills up to date. For example, that you’ve done voluntary work in schools.

Teachers trained outside the UK

If you’re a teacher and trained outside of the UK you must get proof of your UK QTS. Find further information on routes to qualified teacher status (QTS) for teachers and those with teaching experience outside the UK on GOV.UK.

Apply to become a supply teacher

The supply register is available to primary and secondary schools. Once registered there is no guarantee you’ll get regular work.

You can apply to be on the supply register even if you do not have Licensed residential status. A school may be able to offer you a fixed term contract if they have a licence for a specific role.

For further information and request an application form email

Back to top
rating button