1. The Russia (Sanctions) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (the “UK Regulations”) were made under the Sanctions and Anti-Money Laundering Act 2018 and provide for the freezing of funds and economic resources of certain persons, entities or bodies involved in destabilising Ukraine or undermining or threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty or independence of Ukraine, or obtaining a benefit from or supporting the Government of Russia.
2. On 25 February 2022 the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office updated the UK Sanctions List to reflect changes to those persons designated under the UK Regulations. A link to the UK Sanctions List can be found below.
3 The Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Implementation of External Sanctions) (Jersey) Order 2021 (the “Order”), made under the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Jersey) Law 2019 (“SAFL”), links to the UK Regulations.
4. Any changes to asset-freeze designations made under the UK Regulations are effective immediately by virtue of the ambulatory provisions in Jersey’s sanctions legislation.
5. An asset freeze now applies to the persons listed in the Annex to this Notice under Part 3 of SAFL.
Notice summary (Full details are provided in the Annex to this Notice)
6. The following entries have been added and are now subject to an asset freeze:
- Vladimir Vladimirovich PUTIN
- Sergei Viktorovich LAVROV
What you must do
7. You must:
- Immediately check whether you maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the persons set out in the Annex to this Notice.
- freeze such accounts, and other funds or economic resources without notice and without delay.
- refrain from dealing with the funds or assets or making them available (directly or indirectly) to such persons unless licensed by the Minister for External Relations and Financial Services (“MERFS”).
- report any findings to MERFS, together with any additional information that would facilitate compliance with SAFL.
- provide any information concerning the frozen assets of designated persons that MERFS may request. Information reported to MERFS may be passed on to other regulatory authorities or law enforcement.
8. Failure to comply with sanctions legislation or to seek to circumvent its provisions is a criminal offence.
10. Jersey guidance on the Russia sanctions regime is available on JFSC website
11. Copies of Jersey sanctions legislation, including the Order
, can be found on the Jersey Legal Information Board website.
12. A copy of the UK Regulations can be obtained from legislation.gov.uk
and other relevant information about this regime can be found on gov.uk.
13. A copy of the UK Sanctions List can be found here
14. A copy of the UK Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation Consolidated List can be found here
15. Non-media enquiries, sanctions compliance reporting, and licence applications should be addressed to:
Head of International Compliance
Office of the Chief Executive
Annex to Notice
FINANCIAL SANCTIONS: RUSSIA
1. PUTIN, Vladimir Vladimirovich
Name (non-Latin script): Владимир Владимирович Путин
DOB: 07/10/1952. POB: St Petersburg (then Leningrad), Russia a.k.a: PUTIN, Vladimir
Nationality: Russia Address: Moscow, Russia Position: President of the Russian
Federation Other Information: (UK Sanctions List Ref): RUS0251 (UK Statement of
Reasons): Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin is the President of the Russian Federation,
carrying ultimate authority for the policy of the Russian government and Russian
armed forces. In February 2022, Putin ordered Russian military forces to launch an
invasion of Ukraine, undermining and threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty
or independence of Ukraine. (Gender): Male Listed on: 25/02/2022 UK Sanctions List
Date Designated: 25/02/2022 Last Updated: 25/02/2022 UK Consolidated Group ID: 14196.
2. LAVROV, Sergei Viktorovich
Name (non-Latin script): Сергей Викторович Лавров
DOB: 21/03/1950. POB: Moscow, Russia a.k.a: (1) LAVROV, Sergei (2) LAVROV, Sergey
(3) LAVROV, Sergey, Viktorovich Nationality: Russia Address: Moscow, Russia.
Position: Foreign Minister of the Russian Federation Other Information: (UK Sanctions
List Ref): RUS0252 (UK Statement of Reasons): Sergei Viktorovich Lavrov, hereafter
Lavrov, is the Russian Foreign Minister. He is a member of Russia's Security Council. As
such, he is a senior member of the Government of Russia, and a key decision-maker.
He is thereby involved in its attempts to destabilise Ukraine and undermining and
threaten the territorial integrity, sovereignty or independence of Ukraine. (Gender):
Male Listed on: 25/02/2022 UK Sanctions List Date Designated: 25/02/2022 Last
Updated: 25/02/2022 UK Consolidated Group ID: 14197.
Ministry of External Relations
26 February 2022