About the Future Fort project
Fort Regent is a key part of the St Helier skyline, steeped in history and nostalgia. Over the years, the Fort has provided valuable facilities to the whole community, however, major elements of the centre are dated, underutilised and no longer fit for purpose. The Fort is no longer economically or environmentally sustainable.
In March 2021, we announced plans to move all existing sports users out of Fort Regent in early 2022 into
new state-of-the-art sports and wellbeing hubs.
Once the existing users have been relocated, there are significant development proposals to turn Fort Regent into a top class cultural and leisure destination.
Sports and wellbeing hubs on Inspiring Active places website
In 2019, the government commenced work on a plan for the re-development of Fort Regent.
The key objectives in these redevelopment plans included:
- create a meaningful use for the Fort and give Islanders a reason to visit
- improve access to the Fort ensuring it is accessible to all
- provide value for money for Islanders
- help to boost visitor numbers to the Island and the Island’s visitor economy
Working with these objectives, our vision is to maximise both the Fort’s internal and external spaces, transforming it into a first class cultural and leisure destination; providing a hub of activities that appeal to Islanders and visitors of all ages and interests, making it an integral part of the Island’s community.
Our vision is to re-establish the Fort at the centre of life on the Island:
- to celebrate its heritage and create new spaces of character for events to take place for all to enjoy
- to create more than 5 acres of new accessible areas of open space. Areas that will invite you on a journey of discovery, from formal through to more natural and wild. Areas with a buzz of activities; informal play; adventure play; biodiverse ecological areas together with quieter areas for escape and contemplation. An internal winter garden to make sure it’s a place for all weather and seasons
- to provide a new flexible events centre capable of attracting major cultural events and entertainment. Scalable to suit both the intimacy of local events and larger touring shows.
- the redevelopment of Fort Regent will deliver a multiple facility destination hub creating a significant attraction for both Islanders and visitors alike, that will revitalise the Fort as a major cultural and leisure destination for the Island
The redevelopment of Fort Regent is an enormous undertaking that is likely to take many years to complete. We aim to maintain access to areas of the Fort during the redevelopment so Islanders can re-engage with the Fort, participate in new opportunities the project will create and enjoy the journey of redevelopment over the coming years.
View the proposed plans for Fort Regent