Serious case reviews (FOI)
Serious case reviews (FOI)Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by States of Jersey and published on 13 May 2015.
Prepared internally, no external costs.
We would like to know how many serious case reviews (SCRs) there have been (or are in progress) in Jersey since 2000?
Could we have the information broken down into annual figures? Also, could we have adult SCR and child SCR figures separately, rather than as a single, combined SCR total?
Each SCR usually contains a number of recommendations. Could we see how many recommendations have been made in SCRs over the same time period? Annually, again, with adult SCR and child SCR information presented as separate annual totals.
The children’s SCR process was introduced in Jersey in 2009. The first adult cases were considered for the SCR process in July 2013.
The total number of SCR’s commissioned or completed is 15.
The total number of SCR’s commissioned or completed is 15. Of this number, three are adult and the remainder are for children; some of the children’s SCRs have been completed as thematic report, ie one review considering a number of cases with a similar theme.
The tables below show the status of those SCRs (ie those published or those in progress/pending publication). Please note:
- an SCR can be published as a standalone report, or can be form part of thematic report where there are significant related themes
- SCR’s are published under a pseudonym for reasons relating to confidentiality
- the decision on whether or not to publish an SCR, or the format in which it should be published, rests with the Independent Safeguarding Chair. The decision is taken in
consultation with the children and adults who sit at the centre of these cases and with the
advice of Safeguarding Partnership Board members
Total number of SCR’s completed (three) of which two have been published.
|Standalone or thematic report||Status year||Children or adult||Pseudonym/title of report||Number of recommendations|
|Standalone||Published 2010 (March)||C||Family A||32|
|Standalone||Not published 2014 (March)||C||Family W||10|
Published 2015 (February)
Total number of SCR’s in currently in progress or pending publication is 12. Of which 10 relate to children and two relate to adults.
Of the 10 children’s SCRs
- four relate to sexual abuse and will be published in one thematic report
- four relate to the deaths of young people through suicide and will be published in one thematic report
- two relate to sexual exploitation or abuse. A decision is pending by Independent Chair as to whether these will be published and, if so, in what format
Two adult SCRs are currently in progress and will be considered for publication later this year.