Hate crimes against the Chinese/Asian community (FOI)
Hate crimes against the Chinese/Asian community (FOI)Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by Government of Jersey and published on 08 April 2020.
Prepared internally, no external costs.
I would like to find out the following:
i) Number of hate crimes committed against the Chinese and Asian community since December 1, 2019 to today - March 16
ii) This number to be broken down by months? December to March
iii) What types of hate crime? See categories below.
• Verbal abuse like name-calling and offensive jokes
• Bullying or intimidation by children, adults, neighbours or strangers
• Physical attacks such as hitting, punching, pushing, spitting
• Threats of violence
• Hoax calls, abusive phone or text messages, hate mail
• Online abuse on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
• Displaying discriminatory literature or posters
• Harm or damage to things such as your home, pet or vehicle
• Throwing rubbish into a garden
• Malicious complaints over things such as parking, smells and other behaviour
iv) How many fell into each category?
v) How many have been referred to the CPS?
vi) Which ones were referred?
Jersey has a very small Chinese/Asian community. There have been no hate crimes recorded against the Chinese or Asian community in Jersey since 1 December 2019 to date.