Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Covid-19 passports and safety of the vaccines (FOI)

Covid-19 passports and safety of the vaccines (FOI)

Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by Government of Jersey and published on 26 August 2021.
Prepared internally, no external costs.



Do the double vaccinated people still transfer / carry on the virus?


Do unvaccinated people transfer / carry on the virus?


What is the difference in transferring the virus between the above two groups (vaccinated, unvaccinated)?


Do you consider at any stage forceful vaccination (even if the current Ministers will be replaced)?


Do you inform people who come to get a vaccine that they are taking part in the medical experiment? Pharmaceutical concerns are planning to finalise the test by the end of 2023.


When are you going to introduce vaccination passports allowing vaccinated people to go to shops and to work?


Once vaccination passports have been introduced what will happen to unvaccinated people? How can they shop, work and go outside?


What are the long term side effects of the vaccine? (They may appear after two, three or more years)?


What is the guarantee the vaccines are safe from the long term point of view?


Full vaccination prevents symptomatic infection in about 80% of individuals. The transmission risk from the remaining 20%, if infected, is halved ie approximately 10% in total will transmit the virus.


Previously uninfected and unvaccinated people will have no protection against the virus and there will be no reduction in either infection or transmission rates


Transmission is reduced by about 90% in fully vaccinated people compared with unvaccinated people.


The Government of Jersey has no plans for mandatory COVID-19 vaccination. Jersey traditionally has a very high vaccination rate for vaccine preventable diseases which often meets or exceeds recommendations. Current COVID-19 vaccination rates appear to show a similar trend and therefore mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations would not be deemed proportionate, appropriate, or necessary. Mandatory vaccinations would only ever be considered in the event of an extreme medical emergency, given the current status of the pandemic with much fewer harms due to current vaccination levels, this scenario remains unlikely


The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is the UK authority responsible for assessing the safety, quality and efficacy of vaccines. The MHRA has authorised three COVID vaccines for supply and use in Jersey:

  • Pfizer / BioNTech

  • Oxford / AstraZeneca

  • Moderna

All have been shown to be safe and effective in all clinical trials; all have all been put through standard safety testing before being rolled out to the public. 

F and G

There are currently no plans or intentions to use Covid Status Certification or any similar system based on vaccinations to allow or restrict people to go to shops or their places of work.


Serious side effects that could cause a long-term health problem are extremely unlikely following any vaccination, including COVID-19 vaccination. Vaccine monitoring has historically shown that side effects generally happen within six weeks of receiving a vaccine dose. For this reason, the MHRA and international medicine regulators authorized COVID-19 vaccines to be studied for at least two months (eight weeks) after the final dose. Millions of people have now received COVID-19 vaccines, and no long-term side effects have been detected.

Medicines regulators are continuing to closely monitor the safety of COVID-19 vaccines.


The guarantee of vaccine safety is based on the information provided above.

Back to top
rating button