COVID-19 deathsProduced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by Government of Jersey and published on 21 December 2021.
Prepared internally, no external costs.
I would like to know please the exact figure from the 01 January 2019 until the 16 November 2021 of people who died of COVID-19 alone and not anything else, in all settings in Jersey, including all hospitals such as Jersey General Hospital, Overdale Hospital, St Saviours Hospital etc., all care homes and domestic premises and work places etc.
Kindly break this down to include the exact date, setting / place the person died, e.g. Jersey General Hospital, Overdale Hospital, St Saviours Hospital etc., all care homes and domestic premises or work places etc., to include sex, age and vaccination status of the person or persons in your response, thanks.
There have been three deaths registered where the cause of death has been certified as follows:
- Died 18 July 2021 at Jersey General Hospital – Cause of Death: 1a COVID-19 Infection 1b. --- 1c. --- 2. ---
- Died 01 January 2021 at Jersey General Hospital – Cause of Death: 1a. COVID-19 Pneumonitis with Superimposed Bacterial Pneumonia 1b. --- 1c. --- 2. ---
- Died 29 December 2020 in a Care Home – Cause of Death 1a. Covid-19 Pneumonia 1b. --- 1c. --- 2. ---
Due to the small number of cases, disclosure control has been applied to avoid breaching the privacy of individuals involved. Article 25 (Personal Information) of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 applies.
Whilst there may be public interest in details surrounding COVID-19 related deaths, the granular details requested could, if released, identify specific individuals. Release of the personal information requested could negatively impact living relatives or other connected individuals and it is considered that their right to privacy outweighs the public interest supporting the release of the information requested.
Information gathered in order to register a death does not include the vaccination status of the deceased.
Article 25 - Personal information
(1) Information is absolutely exempt information if it constitutes personal data of which the applicant is the data subject as defined in the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018.
(2) Information is absolutely exempt information if – (a) it constitutes personal data of which the applicant is not the data subject as defined in the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018; and (b) its supply to a member of the public would contravene any of the data protection principles, as defined in that Law.
(3) In determining for the purposes of this Article whether the lawfulness principle in Article 8(1)(a) of the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 would be contravened by the disclosure of information, paragraph 5(1) of Schedule 2 to that Law (legitimate interests) is to be read as if sub-paragraph (b) (which disapplies the provision where the controller is a public authority) were omitted.