2021 census (FOI)
2021 census (FOI)Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by Government of Jersey and published on 11 January 2022.
Prepared internally, no external costs.
What was the results of the 2021 census? What was the resulting population of Jersey?
What was the total cost of the census for the Government and consequently the taxpayer?
- Producing, Printing and sending out the census forms
- Staff administration costs
- Any other costs associated with the 2021 census
The 2021 Census data is still being processed, therefore the results are not yet available. As explained in the Publication release schedule (Statistics Jersey) (gov.je) the 2021 Census results are expected to be released, as for the 2011 Census, through a series of individual bulletins which are provisionally scheduled to be published in Quarter 1 – Quarter 2 2022. Article 36 of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 (information intended for future publication) has therefore been applied.
The budget for the 2021 Census was £709,000. The total spend up to the end of November 2021 is £608,000. A full breakdown of these costs is not held in a format for the purpose of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011.
Article 36 - Information intended for future publication
(1) Information is qualified exempt information if, at the time when the request for the information is made, the information is being held by a public authority with a view to its being published within 12 weeks of the date of the request.
(2) A scheduled public authority that refuses an application for information on this ground must make reasonable efforts to inform the applicant –
(a) of the date when the information will be published;
(b) of the manner in which it will be published; and
(c) by whom it will be published.