Teaching vacancies in secondary schools (FOI)
Teaching vacancies in secondary schools (FOI)Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by Government of Jersey and published on 09 August 2022.
Prepared internally, no external costs.
How many teachers and teaching assistants are leaving each secondary school this year?
How many staff vacancies are there in secondary at this time (end of summer term 2022?
How many teaching posts in Maths, English and Science have yet to be filled?
How are schools going to cover classes next year if there are posts unfilled by September 2022?
The following table provides a breakdown of teachers and teaching assistants who have left the Government of Jersey from each secondary school for the period January to June 2022.
January to June 2022 Total Leavers -
January to June 2022 Total Leavers -
Haute Vallée School
Jersey College for Girls
Le Rocquier School
Les Quennevais School
The Government of Jersey only holds recorded information on individuals that have already left the organisation. The information provided above does not include information on individuals who have handed in their notice and not yet processed as leavers until after the 31st August 2022.
This information does not include staff that that are moving between schools. This information is not available centrally and would require manipulation of data. Therefore, Article 3 of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 has been applied. A Scheduled Public Authority (SPA) is not required to manipulate and create new data sets, but to provide the requester with information the SPA holds which has been specifically requested.
Where numbers are fewer than five, disclosure control is applied to avoid identification of individuals. Article 25 of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 has been applied.
- 'Open Vacancies' mean positions approved for recruitment where an individual has not yet been selected. It does not include positions / vacancies where the offer process is in progress
- Applications and interviews are ongoing, so the number of vacancies will reduce during August
- This report only includes vacancies with a teacher or teaching assistant pay group
- Some of the teaching positions will be filled by graduate teachers from the Jersey Teachers' Graduate Training Programme
- Some of these positions may be filled by internal moves/changes
Information relating to specific teaching posts is not available centrally and would require manual enquiries to confirm with all schools information on their current recruitment arrangements. Therefore, Article 3 of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 has been applied. A Scheduled Public Authority (SPA) is not required to manipulate and create new data sets, but to provide the requester with information the SPA holds which has been specifically requested.
The Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 gives a right to request information that is held in recorded form, unless exempt. This aspect of the request poses a question rather than seeking information held in recorded form. Article 3 of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 applies.
Article 3 - Meaning of "information held by a public authority"
For the purposes of this Law, information is held by a public authority if –
(a) it is held by the authority, otherwise than on behalf of another person; or
(b) it is held by another person on behalf of the authority.
Article 25 - Personal information
(1) Information is absolutely exempt information if it constitutes personal data of which the applicant is the data subject as defined in the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2005.
(2) Information is absolutely exempt information if –
(a) it constitutes personal data of which the applicant is not the data subject as defined in the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2005; and
(b) its supply to a member of the public would contravene any of the data protection principles, as defined in that Law.
3) In determining for the purposes of this Article whether the lawfulness principle in Article 8(1)(a) of the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 would be contravened by the disclosure of information, paragraph 5(1) of Schedule 2 to that Law (legitimate interests) is to be read as if sub-paragraph (b) (which disapplies the provision where the controller is a public authority) were omitted.