Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Inquiry into employee's conduct procedure (FOI)

Inquiry into employee's conduct procedure (FOI)

Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by Government of Jersey and published on 07 December 2022.
Prepared internally, no external costs.



Please could you provide me with or direct me to any information, guidance or policy within the Government of Jersey that advises when or how an inquiry should be requested and/or commissioned relating to concerns of employee's conduct.


Please also provide or direct me to any information, guidance or policy which advises when an inquiry should be carried out rather than an investigation in such circumstances.


Public Servants are employed by the States’ Employment Board which has various policies and procedures in place to deal with concerns raised in relation to the conduct of an employee.  The decision about which policy or procedure to use depends on the nature of the concerns. 

Depending on the circumstances, and in line with Advisory, Conciliation, and Arbitration Service, UK  (ACAS) guidelines, the starting point is generally to aim to deal with concerns as swiftly as possible and in a manner which is proportionate to those concerns. 

The States’ Employment Board policies do not preclude a Minister, or appropriate Officer on behalf of the Minister, from commissioning a review, inquiry or investigation into a matter. 

They can be found using the link below:

People Services policies: Government of Jersey  

At the same time, the Code of Conduct and Practice for Ministers and Assistant Ministers does preclude Ministers and Assistant Ministers from providing direction on a specific case; and where they are concerned they should refer the matter to the relevant Director General, or otherwise the Chief Executive Officer, or the Chair of the States Employment Board, as they feel most appropriate.

r.140-2022.pdf (

Back to top
rating button