Air Quality monitoring in Jersey 2020
Produced by the
Environment (Infrastructure, Housing and Environment)
Ricardo Energy & Environment
and published on
14 Dec 2021
The States of Jersey has undertaken a programme of air quality measurements and analysis since 1997. This ongoing monitoring programme has provided a long-term dataset of pollutant concentrations.
The report presents the results from the 2020 survey and compares the data from Jersey with:
- relevant air quality limit values, objectives and guidelines
- data from selected UK monitoring stations
- previous years' monitoring programmes
The objective, as in previous years, was to monitor at sites where pollution concentrations were expected to be high, and compare these with background locations. The impact of Covid is evident in the results from the initial lockdown period and caused difficulties in analysing passive monitoring stations.
The monitoring sites consisted of urban and rural background sites, in addition to locations where higher pollutant concentrations might be expected, such as:
- roadside and kerbside sites
- locations close to specific emissions sources, eg the Airport, petrol forecourts and body shops