Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Becoming a Jersey resident

​​​​​How​ to register​​​​​​ as a resident in Jersey

​​If you move to Jersey, you must get a registration card to live and work.​

To register, go to Customer and Local Services in​ La Motte Street. If you’re not sure w​here this is, use the link below.

We will register you with the following departments:

  • Social Security (at Customer and Local Services)

  • Population Office

  • Taxes Office

  • Health and Social Services Department​

  • Education (they'll be told you're in the Island if you've got children of school age)

Customer and Local Services (old Social Security building), La Motte Street on Goog​le Maps

Moving house or job (registration cards)

Healthcare in Jersey

Jersey is not part of the NHS. Our rules are different to the UK, other Channel Islands and other countries.

When you first move to Jersey you’ll have to pay for most healthcare, however emergency hospital treatment provided in the Emergency Department is not charged for.

Once you have lived here for six months, you can get a health card. This gives you discounted GP costs, but you'll still have to pay for the rest of the cost of the visit.

Your health card only applies to GP visits and GP prescriptions. It does not give you access to free or discounted healthcare at the hospital or elsewhere.

Health costs when moving or returning to live in Jersey​​

Doctors (GPs) fees, prescriptions and health cards

What you need ​​to bring

There is no form for you to complete.

You'll need to bring photo identification. This can be either your:

  • passport

  • driving licence

  • National ID card

If you're married or in a civil partnership, you should bring your certificate.​

We will accept original or certified copies of these certificates

If you don't bring your certificates with you, we will still register you, but you will need to provide them at a later date.

If you have dependent children

​If you have dependent children living in Jersey, you should:

  • ​bring their certificates or passports with you when you register at Customer and Local Services

  • register them with a local GP - It's recommended you do this as soon as possible. The GP will require your child's Social Security number for registration purposes

  • send a copy of your child's immunisation history to the Child Health team​ - Include your child's name, date of birth and current address. You can post it to the Child Health team at Maison Le Pape, The Parade, St Helier, JE2 3PU or you can email it. If you’re unsure or have any questions about your child’s immunisation history, you can call the Child Health team on +44 (0) 1534 443741 

Email the Child Health team

What you need to tell us

We will ask you a number of questions, including:

  • ​your personal details and address

  • any details about your spouse / civil partner, and children (if applicable)

  • your date of first arrival

  • your employer's name (if you have found work)

  • what your salary and any other income will be

  • your residential status (if known)

Residential statuses and what they mean​​

What happens next​

Once we have your details and you've paid any relevant registration fees, we'll give you a Social Security number and print your registration card. The cost for this card is £80. You can pay by cash or by card.

You'll need to show this card, along with photo ID, to your:

  • employer

  • landlord (if you're renting a property)

  • lawyer (if you're buying a property)

We will pass your information onto the Taxes Office and the Health and Social Services Department so that they can update their records.

If you’re employed, you’ll receive an ITIS (income tax instalment scheme) rate from the Taxes Office. This is the percentage of your income that you will be deducted each time you’re paid.

You’ll need to give your ITIS rate to your employer as soon as you receive it. Until your employer has received your ITIS rate, they will take the default amount.

If you’re still looking for work when you register, you’ll need to tell the Taxes Office when you know your salary. We can then give you your ITIS rate.​

How your effective tax rate is calculated for ITIS​

Individuals​' tax information

Self-employed people​ and traders tax information​

How to apply for a school

If you need States' school places for your children, you must contact the Education Department. 

​Applying for a school​

Moving to Jersey​​

For more information about living and working in Jersey, use the link below.​​

Jersey Citizens Advice Bureau can also provide plenty of free advice. Call 0800 735 0249 or visit their website.

Moving to Jersey

Jersey Citizens Advice Bureau website​​

Processing your personal information

Information you provide about yourself when registering as a new resident, or at a later stage, such as your name, date of birth and your address, will be securely shared with other States of Jersey departments, so that we can improve the services we provide to you.

In particular, we will share the information you provide with the Taxes Office, the Health and Social Services Department and the General Hospital as appropriate to enable them to register you.

We will only share your information as required to provide, or in preparation to provide, you with our services.

Your information may also be used for statistical purposes to support planning for our services. In this case, all information capable of identifying you will be removed from the data before it's shared. As we improve our processes, we may pass your information on to other relevant departments.

You, and the information you provide, are of paramount importance to us.

Contact us if you have any questions regarding how your information may be used.

Download the Tell Us Once Data Sharing Agreement (size 635kb)

Registering for income tax only

If you're not becoming a resident in Jersey or you already have a Social Security registration card, click on the link below. 

Registering for tax

Back to top
rating button