30 September 2019
Islanders with a diagnosis of Diffuse Mesothelioma, which is caused by exposure to asbestos fibres, can from tomorrow (1 October 2019) apply for a one-off special payment from the government. Relatives of islanders who have died from the disease since 1 October 2018, can also apply for a special payment.
The first e-petition to reach 1000 votes asked the Government to provide these payments and last November the States Assembly approved a proposition from Deputy Carina Alves to provide compensation for people diagnosed with Diffuse Mesothelioma.
Although the use of asbestos is now highly regulated, in the past it was used extensively in the construction industry. The disease can occur years after exposure and results in a shortened life expectancy.
Applicants will need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- be 18 years or older
- have lived in Jersey for the last 5 years
- have a diagnosis of Diffuse Mesothelioma from a consultant in Jersey
- have been exposed to asbestos containing materials in Jersey
The amount of the lump sum payment for people living with Diffuse Mesothelioma will be based on their age at the time of their diagnosis. The amounts range between £92,259 for an individual aged 37 and under to £14,334 for an individual aged 77 and over. For example, an individual aged 70 would receive a payment of £17,961.
Social Security Minister, Deputy Judy Martin said: “The aim for this application process is to be as quick and easy as possible to ensure that anyone diagnosed with Diffuse Mesothelioma can receive a payment without delay. We have already been contacted by a small number of people with the disease and will be helping them to apply as soon as possible”.
A close relative of a person who has passed away as a result of Diffuse Mesothelioma, whose death occurred on or after 1 October 2018, will also be able to apply for a lump-sum amount based on the following eligibility criteria:
- have lived in Jersey for the last five years
- be a close relation of the person who has passed away
- apply within 12 months of the person’s death
Application forms are available:
- to download from Tuesday 1 October 2019 at www.gov.je/DMPayments
- from medical consultants specialising in the condition at Jersey General Hospital
- in person from Customer and Local Services, La Motte Street