Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Renting a room in your home

​Income from renting rooms in your own home is taxable. Examples include income from:

  • lodgers
  • foreign language students
  • holiday makers
  • paying guests


From 2023, a new income tax exemption is available for those letting out a room in their home using a 'rent-a-room' arrangement.

To qualify as a rent-a-room arrangement:

  • the total gross income must not exceed £10,000
  • the room must not be rented to a family member
  • the room must be in your main residence, and cannot be a self-contained unit
  • the lodger must be over 18, or placed in the room by an appropriate organisation if they are under 18

In these circumstances, taxpayers can receive up to £10,000 per year tax free.

In any other circumstances, the flat rate deduction is available.

Flat rate deduction

Declare the total income you've received on your personal tax return and we'll give you a flat rate deduction in your income tax assessment as follows:

​Sleeping only
​Meals supplied
​25% deduction
​50% deduction

This flat rate deduction applies to small scale activities. It doesn't apply to registered guest houses.

Concessions and practice: lodgers and paying guests

Filling out your tax return

Enter the total you received before any deductions and then tell us if meals were supplied (full board) by ticking the box. 

Revenue Jersey will give you an automatic deduction from the income of 25% and a 50% deduction if you also provide meals.    

Renting a room in your home: tax form help 

Back to top
rating button