Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Financial assistance for disabled students

Disabled Student Allowances are extra help for students who have a disability, a mental health condition, or a specific learning difficulty, like dyslexia or dyspraxia. It does not cover any day to day support that may be required.

If you’re a full-time undergraduate student and you want to apply for DSAs, you need to complete a Student Finance application form (HE1) and a DSAs application form.


Eligibility for DSA

You are eligible for a DSA if you meet all the following criteria:
  • you are eligible to apply for student finance 
  • you are taking a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate course* in the UK 
  • you can prove you have a disability, medical condition, sensory impairment, mental health condition, or specific learning difficulty which affects your ability to study
* If you are undertaking a postgraduate study where Student Finance are unable to assist, then you would not be entitled to apply for DSA.

How to apply for DSA

You don’t have to have a confirmed place at a university before you apply for your DSA. We recommend you apply early so this in place before your course starts, but you can apply at any point during your studies.

  1. Complete the HE1 application form for Student Finance, and ask for DSA, you’ll then receive a DSA application form
  2. If you have already completed and submitted your HE1 and did not request DSA at the time of completion, and you now wish to apply for DSA , contact Student Finance for a DSA application form  
  3. You will be asked to provide proof of your disability, medical health condition, sensory impairment, mental health condition, or specific learning difficulty (e.g. a diagnostic assessment of dyslexia, or letter from a medical authority). If you do not have a diagnostic report, you will need to have one carried out, the cost of this is the responsibility of the student/parent/s or guardian/s
  4. Send photocopies of your evidence with the DSA application form to student finance Jersey, remember to keep your original copies, as you may need them later
  5. If you’re eligible for the DSA, you’ll receive an approval letter (DSA1). If are studying in the UK you’ll then be asked to attend a needs assessment at a centre of your choice to explore the requirements of your course, and your learning needs. It’s a good idea to contact your university or college at this point, to let them know you’ve been approved for a DSA. This does not need to be carried out prior to commencing your degree.
  6. Student Finance Jersey will cover the costs of the ‘Needs assessment’ report
  7. Following the needs assessment, you’ll receive a report detailing the equipment and support recommended by the assessment centre
  8. Student Finance Jersey will then send you a letter (DSA2) confirming exactly what Student Finance Jersey will be able to financially assist with. You won’t be reimbursed for anything you buy before you receive this letter, so it’s important to wait until you receive the DSA2 letter
  9. The DSA2 letter will either be posted to the student’s address or emailed. We will not send a copy of this letter to the disability adviser at your chosen university or college. It will be the student’s responsibility to take this to their advisor
  10. The advisor at the students university or college will then make arrangements for any support or adjustments you require

Support for DSA

  1. Non-medical helper’s allowance, to help cover the costs of academic support (e.g. a sign language interpreter, note taker). This allowance is not means tested
  2. Specialist equipment allowance, a one-off payment to help you buy any items required for you to study (e.g. assistive technology software), excluding, but not limited to laptop, computers or any other similar device, printers/scanners, warranties, insurance. This allowance is means tested. If your household income is over £90,000 you will not be eligible to any financial assistance towards specialist equipment
You can apply for the DSA at any time during your course, but you’ll have to pay for any tests to establish your eligibility if you don’t have current proof. Some universities and colleges may be able to provide assistance with these costs – you should contact the disability officer to discuss your options. Student Finance are unable to assist with DSA for any repeat periods of study, or repeat level of study.

Call +44 (0) 1534 449450 or email Student Finance.
Back to top
rating button