What is the Christmas Bonus?
A new, targeted Christmas Bonus has been introduced for 2016.
It is a benefit of £84.87 which will be paid in December 2016.
Who gets the Christmas Bonus?
The 2016 Christmas Bonus will be paid automatically to these groups of people:
- people aged 65 or over who, in November 2016, are:
- members of the 65+ Health Plan and / or
- receiving Income Support
- members of Income Support households who in November 2016:
- have a significant disability and receive the personal care impairment component level two or three
- are full-time informal carers and receive the carer’s component of Income Support
- people who claim long term care and who receive means-tested support with their living in November
How do I apply?
If you are in one of the groups above, we sent you a letter in October confirming that you will be paid automatically unless your circumstances changed. So, you don’t need to do anything.
If you are not in one of the groups above, but were 65 on or before 1 November 2016, we sent you a letter in October with an application form for the 65+ Health Plan.
If you applied for the 65+ Health Plan and were accepted before 1 November 2016, you will automatically receive the Christmas Bonus this year.
You can apply for the 65+ Health Plan if:
- you’re 65 or over
- you live in Jersey
- you do not pay Income Tax in Jersey
- you have less than £30,000 of assets if you are a couple, or £20,000 if you are single
You cannot apply for the 2016 Christmas Bonus if you are 65 after 1 November 2016.
Find out more about the Jersey 65+ Health Plan and how to apply using the link below.
Jersey 65+ Health Plan
How will I receive my payment?
Your 2016 Christmas Bonus will be paid directly into the bank account that your pension or your Income Support is paid into.
If you live in a care home, your Christmas bonus will be paid into the same account as your personal allowance. If you don’t get a personal allowance, we will send you an open cheque.
Payments are normally made in the first half of December.