Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

School attendance and absence

​Your legal responsibility as a parent

It is your legal responsibility to make sure your child attends school regularly and on time. If you don’t, you may be referred to the parish hall or the magistrate’s court in accordance with Article 12 of the Education (Jersey) Law 1999.​

Children must attend school from the first day of the school term when they are five years old until the 30 June in the school year that they are 16 years old.

Legally the following periods are school terms:

  • 1 September to 31 December
  • 1 January to 30 April 
  • 1 May to 31 August

Informing the school of absences

If your child is going to be absent, you must tell the school on the first day of the absence and follow it up again when they return. 

If you don’t do this, your child’s absence will be recorded as unauthorised.

If you’re worried about your child’s attendance

If your child has a poor attendance record, they could be brought before the court where an Education Supervision Order may be made. This allows Education, Sport and Culture to direct you and your child in decisions about education.

Sometimes pupils have difficulties at school or at home which affect their attendance. If you’re worried, make an appointment to see the head teacher, head of year, class teacher or education welfare officer. 

Education welfare officers visit every school regularly to help staff, parents and pupils overcome problems. These schools all have an attendance officer based on site:  

  • Grainville
  • Haute Vallee
  • Le Rocquier
  • Les Quennevais

Holidays during term time

Before arranging a holiday during term time, you must get permission from the head teacher. 

If you want your child to take more than 10 school days for a holiday, you must direct a request to the Director for Education, Sport and Culture. ​

Download holidays in term time: a guide for parents (size 1.05mb)

Back to top
rating button