Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Fishing boat licensing

​All British registered fishing vessels, including those registered in Jersey must have a licence to fish for sea fish and shellfish that will be sold.  To fish commercially in the Jersey Territorial Sea, British vessels must hold a Jersey Fishing Boat Licence issued by the Department of the Environment.

In addition, vessels wishing to fish in the Granville Bay area outside of the Jersey 3 mile limit, require a Granville Bay Access Permit. These permits are only available to vessels based in Jersey and adjacent French ports within the Granville Bay area.  British and French vessels from outside this area require a track record permit.

The Jersey Fishing Boat licensing system mirrors the UK system and licences are transferrable between Jersey and the UK.


Licence conditions

It is the responsibility of licence holders and skippers to ensure​ they are complying with their licence conditions.


All licence holders have to complete fishing logbooks. 

Under 10m licence holders must submit quarterly catch returns using either their official paper or online logbook. If you wish to use the online logbook contact the fisheries department where you will be given guidance and a pin number.

Download Schedule 3: under 10 metre logbook - procedures for completion (size 246kb)

Download Under 10 metre online logbook instructions (size 346kb)


Jersey licenced vessels are required to fish to quotas applicable to British registered vessels fishing in sea area VIIE (Western English Channel). These quotas are published in the equivalent UK fishing licence annexe.  The most common quota species caught in Jersey waters include
  • sole
  • plaice
  • mackerel
  • pollock
  • skate and ray
It is the responsibility of both the licence holder and skipper to check the available quota. 

Back to top
rating button