Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Naturalisation as a British citizen (Knowledge of Language and Life)

​About Knowledge of Language and Life ​​​

There are two parts to the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement, both of which you must meet to naturalise as a British citizen, unless you are exempt. 

You'll be required to pass the 'Life in the UK' Test (known in Jersey as the Citizenship Test) and meet the language requirement. 

Citizenship Test

You must pass the 'Life in the UK' test.

This test is available at Highlands College.

Life in the UK test

Highlands College website


English language requirement

You'll meet the English language requirement in one of the following ways: 

  • hold an English language qualification at B1 or above approved by the Home Office
  • have passed the Entry Level 3 of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) held at Highlands College for naturalisation purposes (Highlands College regularly runs other English language courses for immigration purposes. Care must be taken by applicants for naturalisation to enrol on the correct course.)
  • be a national of a majority English speaking country (Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA)
  • hold a degree taught in the UK or a majority English speaking  country (excluding Canada)
  • have obtained a foreign academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) deemed by the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) for the UK to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, which was taught or researched in English 

Applicants who already hold English language qualifications are advised to contact the Casework section for confirmation of acceptability for naturalisation purposes. Contact Immigration ​for more information on +44 (0) 1534 447979. 

Email Immigration

List of recognised English language tests and awarding bodies on the Home Office website

People who are exempt from the Knowledge of Language and Life Tests

Certain categories of people do not need to prove knowledge of language and life in the UK.


If you are under 18 or 65 and over, you do not need to meet the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement.  When you apply, you should produce your passport or birth certificate as evidence of your age.


If you have a long-term, permanent disability that prevents you from learning English, you may not have to meet the requirements.  You must:

  • be suffering from a long-term illness or disability that severely restricts your mobility and ability to attend language classes
  • have a mental impairment that means you are unable to learn another language

When you apply, you should provide evidence from a medical practitioner confirming your disability.

If you need special arrangements to learn English or take the test, you still have to meet the requirements. 

Back to top
rating button