What is the Christmas Bonus?
A new, targeted Christmas Bonus was introduced in 2016.
It is a benefit of £84.87 which was paid in December 2016. You cannot apply for the 2016 Christmas Bonus.
Who received the Christmas Bonus?
The 2016 Christmas Bonus was paid automatically to these groups of people:
- people aged 65 or over who, in November 2016, were:
- members of the 65+ Health Plan and / or
- receiving Income Support
- members of Income Support households who in November 2016:
- had a significant disability and received the personal care impairment component level two or three
- were full-time informal carers and received the carer’s component of Income Support
- people who claimed long term care and who received means-tested support with their living in November 2016
How was it paid?
If you were eligible for the 2016 Christmas Bonus, it was paid directly into the bank account that your pension or your Income Support is paid into.
Or, if you live in a care home, your Christmas bonus was paid into the same account as your personal allowance. If you don’t get a personal allowance, we sent you an open cheque.