What is the Christmas Bonus?
A new, targeted Christmas Bonus was introduced in 2016.
It is a benefit of £84.87 which is paid each December. You can't apply for the Christmas Bonus.
Who receives the Christmas Bonus?
A Christmas Bonus is paid automatically to these groups of people:
- people aged 65 or over who, in November, are:
- members of the Pension Plus scheme and / or
- receiving Income Support
- members of Income Support households who in November:
- have a significant disability or long-term health condition and receive the personal care impairment component level two or three
- are full-time informal carers and receive the carer’s component of Income Support
- people who claim long term care benefit and who receive means-tested support with their living costs in November
How is it paid?
If you're eligible for a Christmas Bonus, it is paid directly into the bank account that your pension or our Income Support is paid into.
Or, if you live in a care home, your Christmas bonus is paid into the same account as your personal allowance. If you don’t get a personal allowance, we'll send you an open cheque.