Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

​Short term foster care

When children need care until they can return to their family or move on to adoption or long term fostering. These placements can last from weeks to years.

Long term foster care

When children need care until they’re ready to move on and live on their own.

Emergency foster care

When children need care at short notice for a short period of time, usually in an emergency.

Short break (respite)

When children need care for short periods to give their birth parents or their full-time foster carers a break. These placements can vary from a weekend to a few weeks.

Parent and child fostering

When a young parent and their child needs care. This allows the young parent to stay with their child while a parenting assessment takes place. You provide support, care and advice and help them to move towards living independently.

Connected person carer (Kinship Carer)

When a child needs care because it isn't appropriate or safe for them to remain in the care of their parents. We always ask family members or another person connected to the child to provide this care if possible. This can be a:

  • grandparent
  • aunt
  • uncle
  • brother
  • sister
  • step parent
  • friend of the family

A connected person carer is only assessed for fostering the specific child they’re connected to.

Back to top
rating button