Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Personal criminal records checks

​You have the right to be told whether any information is held about you on police systems.  You also have a right to a copy of that information. This is called a subject access request.

An employer may ask you to make a subject access request. Most employers have no right to directly access or obtain your criminal record, but they may ask you to get your own information and share this with them.

Employers who can't legally conduct direct checks with the Disclosure and Barring Service or police aren't allowed to ask you to reveal historic or spent convictions that you may have.

Making a subject access request

Where information about you comes from

When you make a subject access request, information about you may come from:

  • local computer systems
  • the Police National Computer System

How to apply

You can only make a subject access request if you can prove your identity.

It costs £10 to check one of the systems, or £20 to check both systems.

Check the States of Jersey Police website for more information on applying for a subject access request.

Criminal records checks on States of Jersey Police website

Disclosing conviction information to potential employers

If you make a subject access request so that you can give information to a potential employer, you may lose certain rights under the Rehabilitation of Offenders (Jersey) Law, 2001.

This is because the police have to give you full details of all recorded convictions, including 'spent' convictions which you don't usually have to disclose.

Check the police website for what you should do if you need to supply information to a potential employer.

Criminal records checks on States of Jersey Police website

Difference between subject access requests and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

A subject access request can only be made by you, about yourself.

It tells you if any information is held about you on police systems and you have a right to a copy of that information. It is up to you who you share the information with.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks are requested by employers, or voluntary organisations, if your role will put you in contact with children or vulnerable adults.

The DBS or Jersey Vetting Bureau can give you more information about these checks.

About Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

Back to top
rating button