Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Private home tutoring

Finding a private tutor

Your child's school is often the best place to start. They will already have a good understanding of your child's learning needs and may be able to offer additional support at school. Schools may not, however, recommend staff members to provide additional support at home.

The Education Department does not have a list of approved tutors.

Employing a private tutor

You must be confident that you are employing a qualified tutor, who is safe to work at home with your child.

Always interview any potential candidates:

  • make sure the tutor is qualified and does not pose a risk to your child 
  • ask for and check professional references and qualification certificates
  • if there are career gaps in their CV, ask why and get proof of reasons given
  • if the tutor is employed in a school, ask for a reference from the head teacher
  • if the tutor is freelance, ask to see their DBS Check or Police Check
  • remember, you are the employer and so you should ask for references and check out concerns
  • if in doubt about recruiting somone, do not employ them

Once you have completed all checks it can be useful for the tutor to meet your child before you make a decision to employee them. Observing the interaction between the tutor and your child may help you make your final decision.

Choosing a learning area

Tuition should be in a a quiet, well organised space, away from the distractions of the internet, television or radio. It is important that you have access to it and can observe the activity at any time you wish to. Do not use a bedroom.

Inappropriate behaviour

Any adult who behaves in an inappropriate or abusive manner with a child must be reported.

If your child lets you know of inappropriate behaviour you should:



Back to top
rating button