Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Private water supplies: registration and licences

Borehole or well registration

You will need to register your borehole or well if you:

  • take water from a borehole or well solely for the domestic purposes of a household (regardless of how much water you take). This still applies if you have a Jersey Water mains supply and you use your borehole or well to water your garden, wash your car or fill up your swimming pool etc.
  • take water from boreholes and wells for non-domestic use if the quantity does not exceed 15 cubic metres (3300 gallons) in any 24 hour period

Water taken from a stream or pond for domestic supply can also be registered.

A registration is also needed if you take or impound (ie dam a stream or create an irrigation reservoir) water to prevent interference with or damage to any civil engineering or construction works.

If you're unsure if your water abstraction is already registered email Environmental Protection and provide the full property address.

How to register your borehole or well

You can register your borehole, well, stream, spring or pond abstraction by completing the application form below. The original form should be returned to Environmental Protection with a map clearly showing the position of the water source with a cross. Contact Environmental Protection if you require a suitable map.

Registration is free.

Application form to register your borehole or well

Transferring, amending or revoking your registration

You can transfer your registration to a new holder by part completing the form. The new holder should then complete their section of the form and send it to the Department of the Environment.

You will need to transfer your registration if the property is being sold.

Registrations can be revoked if the borehole or well will no longer be used for any purpose.

Registrations should be amended if the properties that the borehole or well supplies change or if a business starts to use the water source.

If you are unsure of your registration number, call the Department of the Environment.

This form should not be used for licence transfers.

Registration transfer or amendment form

Location of your borehole or well

The Farm Risk Map (Jersey Water Pollution Risk Map) shows the reported locations of registered and licenced boreholes, wells and springs.

The locations were typically provided by the original registration or licence holder and Environmental Protection therefore cannot verify the accuracy of the reported location. 

More information on the farm risk map, see prevent water pollution: borehole maps and farm waste management.

Licensing your borehole, well, stream or reservoir abstraction (usage greater than 15 cubic metres)

You will need a licence if you:

  • abstract more than 15 cubic metres (3300 gallons) in any 24 hour period from surface (stream or reservoir) or sub-surface (borehole or well) waters for non-domestic use
  • propose to alter an existing impoundment (ie dam a stream or create an irrigation reservoir) in such a way that will alter the level, flow or character of water in a source of supply or affect wildlife or plants dependent on the source of water. Planning permission may be required
  • propose to construct a new impoundment (ie dam a stream or create an irrigation reservoir). Planning permission may be required

Water supplies provided by Jersey Water or water collected by rain water tanks do not need to be licensed or registered.

How to apply for a licence

If you need to apply for or transfer a licence you should contact the Environmental Protection team at the Department of the Environment.

2021 Licence charges

Annual licence charges will be based on the quantity of water that you are permitted to take under your licence. You will pay the same charge even if you take less water than your licence allows. It is therefore advisable that you carefully assess your maximum water requirements before completing the application form. Equally, it is essential that you do not underestimate your requirements as this could lead to non-compliance with the abstraction limit specified in your licence. 

​Licensed Quantity (cubic metres (m3) in any 24 hour period)​Charge
​Not exceeding 100 cubic metres (about 22,000 gallons)​£47
​More than 100 but not exceeding 250 cubic metres (about 55,000 gallons)
​In excess of 250 cubic metres (about 55,000 gallons)​£141.75

The licence application process and Gazette policy

The Water Resources (Jersey) Law 2007 requires details of water abstraction or impounding licence applications to be published in the Jersey Gazette. The Gazette notice has a minimum publication and representation time period as set out in the Law, before a technical assessment is conducted. At which point the licence application is considered, and if approved, granted. The applicant should consider that this overall process can therefore take a longer period of time. Impoundments or abstraction over 15 cubic metres per 24 hour period will not be permitted until the whole process has taken place, and if the application is approved. 

The following policy document provides common situations where licence applications would or would not be published in the Jersey Gazette. Please be aware that amending an existing licence can affect its “historic status”. Further information is provided in the policy, including details of the renewal phase when a licence expires and details of the technical assessments undertaken. 

The Water Resources Law

Water is essential for our life, not only for drinking but also for agriculture, business and the Island’s biodiversity. This precious resource is protected by the Water Resources (Jersey) Law 2007.

The law sets out to:

  • protect, manage and regulate the Island’s inland surface water and sub-surface water resources
  • protect current and future public and private abstraction rights (eg from boreholes and wells)
  • promote and conserve animals, plants and their habitats which rely on the resource
  • allocate water resources for the benefit of the Island’s community and environment
  • ensure that sufficient water will be available for drinking, industry, agriculture and recreation
  • develop long-term strategies to minimise the negative impacts of global warming and climate change

Water Resources (Jersey) Law 2007 on Jersey Law website

Regulatory activity

Jersey's water resources are regulated through the Water Resources (Jersey) Law 2007. Regulatory activities include the licensing and registration of water abstraction, enforcement and groundwater level monitoring.

Water Resources (Jersey) Law 2007 regulatory activity

​Civil or criminal proceedings0​0​0​0​0​0​0​0​0​0​0​0​
​Water Resources Law investigations​00​2​0​0​0​0​1​0​​1​0
​Certificate of 0confidentiality issued1​0​0​0​0​0​0​0​0​​00​0​
​Notices issued under Article 34​0​0​0​00​0​0​0​0​​00​0​

​Licensing and registrations2009​2010​2011​2012​2013​2014​2015​2016​20172018​2019
​Transitional licences issued​164-​-​-​-​-​-​-​-​-​-​-​
​Abstraction licences issued​1816​13​6​4​2​4​2​3​3​1​
​Licence renewals​00​0​0​0​1​158​0​13​​20​2​
​Licence revocations/lapses​1​11​6​0​8​4​2​0​​08​2​
​Licences transferred​00​0​2​13​0​1​0​8​​24​0​
​Impoundment licences issued​0​0​2​0​0​00​0​0​​00​
​Registrations issued​2900213​50​23​23​3​33​18​13​​1517​

​Dipping (groundwater level)

​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Dipping monitoring programmes undertaken throughout period ​ ​

​Loggers (groundwater level)​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​Logger monitoring programmes undertaken throughout period ​ ​ ​


​Drought orders issued​0​0​0​0​00​0​0​0​0​

 Jersey in Figures - Water statistics page

Back to top
rating button