This privacy notice covers the Evie Electric Vehicle Service carried out by Environment and Climate which sits within Strategic Planning, Policy and Performance.
Strategic Planning, Policy and Performance is registered as a 'Controller' under the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 (the “Data Protection Law”), as we determine the purpose and means of the processing of the personal information collected about you for this service.
As a Government Department, we generally process and hold your information in order to provide public services and meet our statutory obligations. This notice explains in more detail how we use and share your information in order to provide the service described above.
For information on how the Department uses your personal data for other services, see
States of Jersey privacy policies.
We will continually review and update this privacy notice to reflect changes in our services and feedback from service users, as well as to comply with changes in the law.
How we collect information about you
Information about you will be collected directly from you. This will be done in any of the following way:
- by completing an online application which will include filling in a pre-trial online survey
- by completing our online survey after completion of the trial
EVie Electric Vehicles Subscription Trial
Types of information we collect
The types of personal data collected will vary depending on what information you volunteer and the information we need in each circumstance. However, we have listed below the most common categories of information we may collect about you:
- applicants contact and personal details such as name, email, first line of address, date of birth and post number
- group profile such as approximate household income, place and date of birth and parish of residence
- preferences such as opinions or views on Evie’s service provision and on the use of electric vehicles in general, your current households use of transportation
- voluntary information such as unsolicited information you may provide to us when you engage with us to provide feedback on your use experience in the trial
How we will use the information about you
We need to collect and hold information about you, in order to carry out the public functions of the Strategic Planning, Policy and Performance departments. Our legal basis for processing personal data in most cases is that it is necessary for the exercise of Strategic Policy, Planning and Performance function of the States or any public authority (Schedule 2 para 4(c) of the Data Protection Law).
We have set out in further detail below why we use your personal data in each instance.
|Contact and personal details such as your full name, email, first line of address, post number, date of birth |
The contact details are also used by the GOJ to:
- contact you to advise if you have been successful in the trial.
- prevent fraud by checking that applicant meet the terms of the trial.
- cross-reference responses in the online surveys carried out before and after the trial. The purpose of which is to create a better picture of the participants preferences to electric vehicles and their opinions on the subscription-based model that they trialed. This will help inform the policies within the Government of Jersey's Carbon Neutral Roadmap.
|Public functions: The processing is necessary for the exercise of any function of Crown, the States or any public authority (Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018, Schedule 2, paragraph 4b)|
Group profile such as income range, date of birth and parish of residence
|The purpose of collecting this information is to create a better picture of the people that are interested in electric vehicle use. This will help inform the policies within the Government of Jersey's Carbon Neutral Roadmap.||Public functions: The processing is necessary for the exercise of any function of Crown, the States or any public authority (Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018, Schedule 2, paragraph 4b)|
Preferences and opinions
|The purpose of collecting this information is to create a better picture of the participants preferences to electric vehicles and their opinions on the subscription-based model that they trialed. This will help inform the policies within the Government of Jersey's Carbon Neutral Roadmap.||Public functions: The processing is necessary for the exercise of any function of Crown, the States or any public authority (Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018, Schedule 2, paragraph 4b)|
Who we may share your Personal Information with
Other data controllers
We may disclose information to other public authorities where it is necessary, either to comply with a legal obligation, or where required under other legislation. Examples of this include, but are not limited to:
- where the disclosure is necessary for the purposes of the prevention or detection of crime
- for national security purposes
- for the purposes of meeting statutory obligations
- to prevent risk of harm to an individual
In some instances, this data sharing may require us to transfer your personal data outside Jersey and the EEA, however, we shall only do this with the necessary safeguards in place and where it is lawful because it is necessary and proportionate for the proper discharge of our statutory functions.
Your personal data may be processed on our behalf by certain third parties who provide service to us, so that they can provide those services. We have strict contracts in place with these service providers to ensure they process your data only on our instructions and with appropriate security in place. The categories of third parties who may receive your personal data to provide us with a service are EVie (JEV Company Limited).
Your full name and email address will be provided to Evie. It will be provided on its own with no other information or data attached, for the purpose of:
- enabling Evie to apply the free usage credit to your Evie account over and above the £25 you will pay yourself for the one-month subscription. This will take your total credit available in the trial to £100
- identifying you as a trial participant
- communicating with you for matters only related to the Evie Electric Vehicle Subscription trial. This could for example be to advice, that you have been successfully accepted onto the trial, or to ask you to fill in the online survey
An anonymous dataset from the on-line survey responses will be shared with Evie but it will in no way be linked to any individual by for example including their name, email, first line of address or date of birth. The purpose of this is to inform Evie of the group of people participating on the scheme, it views on the use of electric vehicles and its experience with the Electric Vehicle Subscription Service.
At no time will your information be passed to organisations for marketing or sales purposes or for any commercial use without your prior express consent.
How long do we store the information about you
We will keep your information accurate and up to date and not keep it for longer than necessary in line with our retention schedule. This means:
- contact information and personal details will be retained for 6 months for the purposes of enrolling onto and contacting you about the Evie Subscription Trial
- group profile and preferences and opinions information will be retained for 5 years to help inform the policies within the Government of Jersey’s Carbon Neutral Roadmap
Ask to see our retention schedule for more detail about how long we retain your information.
Where do we store the information about you
Government of Jersey systems store data in Jersey, the UK and the European Union. The UK has been granted adequacy status by the European Commission and personal data stored there will be protected to the same standards as personal data held in Jersey and the EU.
Cookies and the gov.je website
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site. See the gov.je privacy notice for details of the cookies used on gov.je websites.
Statutory or contractual obligations to provide personal data
You are not obliged by any law or contract to provide us with your personal data. However, if you choose not to provide certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform the service you have requested, or we may be prevented from complying with our legal obligation.
See the Government of Jersey website
your personal data rights for details of your rights under the Data Protection Law and how to exercise them.
Withdrawal of consent
Where we rely on your consent to process personal data, you can withdraw your consent by emailing
If you have an enquiry or concern regarding processing your personal data, you can email the Data Governance Officer at
If you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is processed, you can email the Government’s Data Protection Officer at
If you believe that Strategic Policy, Planning and Performance has contravened the Data Protection Law and the contravention affects your data protection rights, you have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Jersey Office of the Information Commissioner (JOIC).
We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the JOIC, so contact us in the first instance.
Changes to this notice
We may, from time to time, revise this privacy to ensure it remains up to date. It is advisable to check it regularly to keep aware of any changes.