Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Helping someone with a drug problem

​​​​​​How we can help you

We offer you advice and information to:

  • help you to understand what your family member is experiencing
  • help you look after your own needs
  • suggest ways in which you might encourage the person to come and speak to someone

We can give you some advice over the phone and you can decide if you would like to see someone. If you p​refer, you can also speak to your GP about your family member and they will be able to contact us on your behalf.

Contact us

If you would like to speak to a professional confidentially about someone you know, email us or call us on +44 (0) 1534 445000. 

Difficulties and what you may be experiencing

It is often difficult to see someone you care about destroying themselves because of their drinking or drug use. It is sometimes difficult to help them to get help, especially if they don’t see that they have a problem. They may not believe they have a problem, or they may be in denial. They know they have a problem but they are too frightened or unwilling to do something about it.

You may also experience your family member acknowledging their problem and even saying they would like to get some help. They then retreat again and say they have things under control.

This can be very difficult to manage and something that is not always easy to speak to other people about. You may feel you need to protect your loved one or feel some sense of shame.

You can find more information on the Adfam website, which offers advice about where to go for help and support if you have a family member or other loved one with an alcohol or drug problem.

Back to top
rating button