The GUM clinic is a specialist outpatient clinic offering a free and confidential service for anyone with a sexual health concern.
We offer a range of services, including:
- testing and treatment for
sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- advice and information about sexual health
- free condoms
- emergency contraception
- pregnancy testing
- HIV testing
- PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) – medication that can help prevent people from developing HIV if they've been exposed to it
- hepatitis B vaccination, excludes travel vaccination
- HPV, for men who have sex with men aged 45 and under
- advice about abortion
- help for people who have been sexually assaulted
We normally have your test results 2 weeks after your appointment. Sometimes they can take a bit longer, depending on the type of test provided. We let you know your results by your chosen communication method.
We offer three open-access evening clinics based in Corridor B of the Outpatient Department at the General Hospital.
Google Map Place Holder
Clinic days and times
Our regular clinic days and times are:
- Tuesday (male), from 5pm to 6.30pm
- Wednesday (female), from 5pm to 6.30pm
- Thursday (mixed), from 5pm to 6.30pm
As the evening clinics are a walk-in service, waiting times vary.
We also have appointments during daytime hours, which are strictly on an appointment only basis. You can phone on +44 (0) 1534 442856 to make your appointment. Leave a voicemail message with your contact number and we'll phone you back as soon as possible.
At risk of HIV exposure
If a person is at risk of HIV exposure, Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) can be initiated at the Emergency Department at any time. Any follow-up needed is provided by our clinic nurses.
Costs and confidentiality
Our service is completely confidential and free of charge. We don't share any information
about you with anyone else without discussion with you.