Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Housing for people with registered status

​​Applying for a registration card

You'll need to apply for a registration card if you:

  • move to Jersey
  • enter into a lease
  • start a job

In any event, you must apply for a card within 3 months of arriving on the Island.

You're most likely to be given the residential status of ‘registered’ when you get your card, unless you qualify under an alternative status.

Being ‘registered’ entitles you to live in certain types of accommodation, which are explained on this page.

Residential statuses and what they mean

Where you can live as a registered person

Lodging accommodation

As a ‘registered’ person you're allowed to live in lodging accommodation. You must show your registration card and photo ID to the lodging accommodation keeper.

If you live in a self-contained unit (which contains a living and sleeping area, kitchen and bathroom), you should have a lease agreement.

If your facilities are shared, you do not need a registration card and you're not deemed to be a tenant. This means that you do not have the same rights as a tenant, for example in relation to notice periods.

Moving house or job (employment and careers section)

Lodging accommodation standards

We lay out minimum standards for lodging accommodation. Properties must be re-registered each year and are inspected to ensure they meet the required standards. 

Other accommodation you're entitled to use

Anyone who comes to Jersey can live in:

  • private lodgings
  • tourist accommodation (short stay and out of season)

Private lodgings

Private lodgings are where the person providing your accommodation lives in the same property. That person can have up to 5 lodgers, including children of any age.

Private lodgings are not the same as registered lodging accommodation (lodging houses). With private lodgings, there's no lease or contract between you and the person providing the accommodation. This is because, by law, the person providing the private lodgings to you must:

  • have 'entitled' residential status and also live in the property 
  • offer you (and each of their lodgers) a service such as cleaning
  • maintain rights to the accommodation
  • maintain the right to unrestricted access to the accommodation at all times
  • be allowed to ask you to leave the accommodation without giving you notice

The person providing the accommodation to you must not ask you to sign a lease or enter into any kind of legal contract. 

Tourist accommodation

Tourist accommodation is registered with the Government of Jersey and includes:

  • hotels
  • guesthouses
  • self-catering units
  • camp sites

How to find accommodation

You should use private sector estate agents or agencies to find registered lodging accommodation.

Tenant and landlord rights
List of estate agents (private rental)

Advice on disputes

The Population Office cannot become involved in disputes between landlords and tenants. These are civil matters which must be dealt with by negotiation or litigation.

If you need advice on legal disputes you should contact the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

Back to top
rating button