Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Moving house or job (registration cards)

​​​​Who needs a registration card

You need to have a registration card if you:

  • move house 
  • start a new job
  • move to Jersey

What a registration card is 

Registration cards have replaced Social Security cards. They show:

  • your name
  • your Social Security number
  • your residential and employment status
  • the card's expiry date

They don't have a photograph and you can't use them as identification. 

How to get a registration card

You can get your registration card from the the Social Security Department in La Motte Street, St Helier.

You will need to take proof of identity and possibly other documents with you.

How to get a registration card

Who to show your registration card to

Moving house

If you live in Jersey, and you move to a new home that you buy or lease, you'll need to get a registration card and show it to your landlord or lawyer, along with photographic proof of your identity (a passport or driving licence).

If you live in Jersey and you move to new lodgings, ie somewhere that's not a self-contained unit with its own bathroom and kitchen, you won't need a registration card. 

However, you'll need to tell the Population Office your new address.

Download advice for new tenants and people buying property (size 688kb)

Download change of addre​ss form (size 186kb)

Starting a new job​

If you start a new job, you will need a registration card. You must show it to your new employer, along with photographic proof of your identity.

Moving to Jersey

If you move to Jersey, you'll need to get a registration card before you start work or move into a property. 

You won't be able to work or buy or lease property without a registration card.

Becoming a Jersey resident​

Cost of a registration card

The cost of a registration card depends on your residential and employment status. 

You can find out more about residential and employment statuses and what they mean on the page below.

Residential statuses and what they mean (registration cards)

​Residential and employment status Cost of registration card​
Entitled​ ​Free
Entitled for work​ Free​
Registered or Licensed £80
Back to top
rating button