Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Shipping plants and produce

​​​Who inspects the movement of plants and produce?

The United Kingdom has two independent organisations under the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) for inspections. These are:

  • Plant Health and Seed Inspectorate (PHSI)
  • Horticultural Marketing Inspectorate (HMI)

In addition, all new EU member states are required as part of their acceptance agreement to provide plant health and produce quality control inspection service.

Who carries out these inspections in Jersey?

In Jersey, these roles are combined into the Department of the Environment Plant Health and Produce Inspection service. In addition, the Jersey Inspectorate is responsible for the enforcing of other statutory and regulatory duties.

Without this service, the Island could be regarded as a third country (outside of the EU). This would affect all plant / produce movements (flowers, plants, bulbs, crops, etc) to the UK and EU.

In plant health terms, because Jersey has a plant health service that mirrors that of the UK (which includes the inspection of imports, exports and locally grown material) it is regarded and accepted as being part of the UK. The beneficial result is an open border to the UK and the EU.

International agreements for the import / export of plants and produce

The Island is subject to two key international agreements banning the introduction and movement of specific harmful organisms, plants and produce from specified origins, and requiring the inspection of imports.

The two agreements are:

  • European Union directive 2000 / 29 / EC
  • United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation’s International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC), 1952​

The UK represents our interest within the Standing Committee which oversees the implementation of 2000 / 29. This directive is implemented in law by all UK territories, so as far as possible the Island must abide by its requirements.

In respect of the IPPC, Jersey was part of the UK’s acceptance of the convention and its 1979 amendments and has expressed a wish to be part of the finalising of the 1997 amendments and changes. Jersey is obliged to follow the UK's stand on plant health related issues.

Download European Union directive 2000 / 29 / EC (size 436kb)

Link to United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation’s International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC), 1952 (Eu-Lex: Access to european law website)

CITES classification - endangered plant movements

Because Jersey is not within the EU, we are regarded as a third country for CITES (Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) eg. orchid plants. Plant movements will therefore require a Phytosanitary Certificate.

Download Example phytosanitary certificate application form (size 377kb)

Back to top
rating button