Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Settling in Jersey: indefinite leave to remain

​​​​​​​​​​​​About indefinite leave to remain

If you've lived in the United Kingdom legally for a certain length of time, you may be able to apply to settle here. This is called ‘indefinite leave to remain’.

It allows you to stay in the United Kingdom and Islands permanently without any restrictions from immigration on your stay and employment.

R​esidential statuses ​​

Every person living in Jersey is given a residential status which determines whether you can live and work here.

Housing rights and residential statuses

Criteria for indefinite leave to remain​

To apply for indefinite leave to remain in Jersey, you must:
  • have lived legally in the United Kingdom and / or Channel Islands for a certain length of time (usually between two and five years)
  • pass the Citizenship test (also known as a 'Life in the UK' test)
  • meet the English language requirement

How to apply for indefinite leave to remain

Applications will only be accepted by post, or by hand delivery no more than two weeks prior to you becoming eligible for indefinite leave to remain. Ensure the application, together with all supporting documentation, is presented in a sealed envelope marked for the attention of Immigration Casework. Failure to submit payment and all the required documentation may delay in the application being processed or result in the application being returned.

Details for postal and hand delivery of applications and how to pay can be found on the application form.  

Be advised that the processing time for all applications is three weeks from the date the application is received and that you will be notified either by phone or email when your documents are ready for collection.

ILR Application Form: spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner and any dependants

ILR Application Form: work permit holders, domestic worker, UK Ancestry, over 18 dependant or other

Your immigration status while your application is being considered 

Your existing immigration status will continue until your application is decided, even if the decision is made after your permitted stay ends.

You can also continue to work until your case is decided if your existing permission allows you to.

Cost of application​​

You can find the cost of indefinite leave to r​emain in the link below.

​Immigration and nationality fees​

Citizenship test

You must pass the Citizenship test (also known as a ‘Life in the UK’ test) to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

For more information on taking the test, visit the Highlands College website.

Highlands College website

Citizenship test (Life in the UK test)

English language requirement

You must meet the English language requirement in one of the following ways:  

  • have passed an Entry Level 3 Assessment (B1 held at Highlands College)
  • have passed the Entry Level 3 of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) held at Highlands College
  • be a national of a majority English speaking country (Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA)
  • hold a degree taught in the UK or a majority English speaking country (excluding Canada)
  • have obtained a foreign academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) deemed by the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) for the UK to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, which was taught or researched in English
  • hold an English language qualification at B1 or above, approved by the Home Office

If you already hold English language qualifications, you should contact the Casework section to check if they meet the requirements for indefinite leave to remain (settlement) purposes on +44 (0) 1534 447979.

Email Casework section

Approved English tests on UK Government website

Exemptions from language requirements

You’re exempt from language requirements if:

  • you’re under 18 years old
  • you’re 65 years old or over
  • you have a mental health or physical condition that makes it unreasonable to expect you to meet this requirement
Back to top
rating button