Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Who to contact after someone dies

​​​​Making arrangements and who to notify immediately

When someone dies there are many decisions and arrangements to make, all of which can be difficult in a time of grief.

There are a few steps that need to be taken shortly after the death:

  • notify the family GP
  • register the death
  • find the will (their solicitor may have a copy if you can't find one)
  • begin funeral arrangements. Check the will for any special requests
  • inform the Social Security and Income Tax departments

The undertaker who you select to arrange the funeral will take you through everything that needs to be done regarding funeral arrangements. They can also provide information, assistance and guidance.

A detailed list of who to contact can be found below.

Financial matters and probate

When someone dies, the person responsible for settling his or her affairs and for administrating the estate is known as the executor or administrator.

Before you can act as an executor or administrator, you will normally have to get a legal document known as the ‘grant of probate’ or, if there is no will, ‘letters of administration’.

The executor or administrator must also complete a tax return for the year in which death occurred and settle any income tax due (including arrears of tax).

Personal applications for a grant of probate (Jersey domicile)
Tax information for dealing with a deceased person's estate

Payments and benefit

To help with funeral costs, a Death Grant may be available from Social Security.

Special payments are also available for people on low incomes.

If your husband or wife has died, you may also be eligible for widow's or widower's benefit.

Death grant: single payment
Special payments: help with emergency costs
Widow's / widower's benefit

Who else should you contact

As well as informing people who are close to the person, in many cases you'll need to close down accounts, or cancel or change insurance details, subscriptions, agreements, payments or direct debits.

General contacts

You'll probably want to contact these people first:

  • relatives and friends
  • employer or school
  • solicitor and accountant

Government departments and other organisations

You'll need to notify the following of the death:

  • Income Tax Department
  • Social Security Department
  • parish hall for rates, residential parking permits or return any driving licence
  • Customs and Immigration Service to return and cancel a passport
  • DVS to return car registration documents and change ownership
  • state pension, see changes in your circumstances or death
  • other pension providers or life insurance companies
  • financial organisations
  • general insurance companies. For example, contents, car, travel and medical
  • any other company with which they may have had rental, hire purchase or loan agreements
  • if they were the first named on an insurance policy, make contact as early as possible to check that you are still insured
  • banks and building societies
  • mortgage provider
  • credit card providers and store cards

Utilities and household contacts

You may also need to contact:

  • landlord or housing department if they rented a property
  • any private organisation or agency providing home help
  • utility companies if accounts were in the deceased's name
  • Jersey Post, if mail needs re-directing
  • TV and internet companies with which the deceased had subscriptions

Other useful contacts

You may also need to contact:

  • Bereavement Register to remove their name from mailing lists and databases
  • Deceased Identity Protection to protect the identity of the deceased, reduce the risk of identity theft and stop unwanted mail

Bereavement register
Deceased Identity Protection​​

Support to help you cope with bereavement

The death of a loved one is a very difficult and distressing time, but you can find support to help you below. 

Counselling services​​

A counselling service is available through our health department. This service is free, private and confidential.

The Community Bereavement Service is available to those in need of support, whilst coming to terms with the death of a relative or friend.

Community bereavement service on Jersey Hospice Care website
Psychology services

Bereavement following a suicide​

If you've learned that someone close to you may have died in circumstances that may be due to suicide, you can experience ​a range of emotions and be unsure about what you're thinking or what you need to be doing. 

You can read our 'Help is at Hand' guide below, which includes informatio​n about how you might be feeling, what practical matters you're likely to have to deal with and suggestions on further support in the weeks and months ahead. 

'Help is at Hand' support gui​de for bereavement following a suicide

Back to top
rating button