03 June 2012
There will be no bus service on Friday 8 June as a result of a strike by Connex workers over pay.
Transport and Technical Services (TTS) is providing advice to help minimise the inconvenience to the public who will be affected by the bus strike on Friday 8 June.
TTS advice to all potential travelling public that day is:
- arrange / offer a car share with friend, colleague or neighbour
- consider walking or cycling
- if you want to take a taxi book it in advance to avoid disappointment
- consider working from home if you can
- although it is the school holidays, there may be more traffic on the roads so allow more time for your journey
- Pier Road Multi Storey normally has spare capacity for another 250 cars and there may be spare capacity in Patriotic Street and Green Street as it is half term
On average there are about 12,000 public bus users every day at this time of year. It is impossible to find an alternative means of transporting these people for the day of the strike.
TTS Minister, Deputy Kevin Lewis said: “Obviously this is a very difficult situation for our bus users and I’m very sorry for the inconvenience this will cause. I hope that people will be understanding and offer lifts to people they know are regular bus users. We are liaising with Tourism and the Harbour and Airport to ensure that travellers are informed.”