17 January 2012
Recent reports claiming that Eastbourne is sunnier and warmer than Jersey have been disproved by the latest statistics from Jersey’s Meteorological Department.
The department's Principal Meteorological Officer, Anthony Pallot, says "The official total for Jersey Airport for 2011 is 1920.2 hours of sunshine. But at Fort Regent, where we have recorded sunshine hours since 1925, the total for 2011 is 2235.8 hours.”
This figure is 273 hours more than Eastbourne’s total of 1962 hours, as reported in the national media.
Mr Pallot added “Like for like comparisons would place us ahead on a variety of counts."
- mean temperature for the year - Eastbourne 12 degrees celcius, Jersey 13 degrees celcius
- 30 year period average mean temperature - Eastbourne 11.0 degrees celcius, Jersey 11.8 degrees celcius
- 30 year period average sunshine - Eastbourne 1848.6 hours, Jersey (Fort Regent) 1912.1 hours
- maximum and minimum temperatures - warmer than Eastbourne every month of the year
- number of days of frost - Jersey 8.8 days, Eastbourne 15.9 days
Jersey Tourism’s Director, David de Carteret, said “We are regularly challenged on our claims to be the warmest, sunniest place in Britain. It is a status we are proud of as it gives us a natural advantage over our UK competitors. The facts speak for themselves and we are happy to counter any challenges to our record.”