14 November 2014
Parents of children who are due to start Reception class in September 2015 need to contact their primary school by Monday 01 December to confirm their application if they want a place in a States primary school.
Parents can find their catchment school by looking at the map available at www.gov.je/schoolcatchment or by asking their local primary school. They can also contact the Education, Sport and Culture Department.
Parents may request up to three schools in order of preference. If a school is oversubscribed priority will be given to children who:
- have a Special Educational Need and must access a specific school
- have siblings in the school (Reception - Y5)
- are living in the primary school catchment area
- are living in the secondary school catchment area
- have siblings in the school (Y6)
- have other requests supported by a good educational reason for attending a non-catchment school
If applications are received after the 01 December deadline, the first choice of school might not be available. If the school is already full, every effort will be made to offer a place at the parents’ second preference.
Primary schools will write to all parents in January 2015 to offer places. Parents are asked to inform the school if, at any time, they no longer need the place they have been offered.
To avoid duplication, parents will not be offered a place in a States primary school if they have registered for a place in a fee-paying school.