27 January 2016
The Jersey Business Tendency Survey (BTS) is a quarterly survey that provides qualitative information about the Island’s economy in a timely manner.
The survey covers private sector businesses in Jersey. The survey asks the chief executive or managing director of sampled businesses for their opinions on the current situation of their business compared to three months earlier and their expectations for the next three months.
In December 2015:
The headline all-sector Business Activity Indicator was 18 percentage points (pp), representing an improvement from the almost neutral level recorded in the previous quarter to a level similar to that seen during the first six months of 2015.
for the Finance sector:
- seven of the ten indicators were essentially unchanged from the previous quarter
the Business Activity, Profitability and Future Employment indicators improved on the previous quarter, with Future Employment recording its highest level to date
- the Business Activity indicator was strongly positive, returning to a level similar to that seen during the first six months of 2015
- the longer-term outlook for profit expectations was positive, with almost three-quarters of businesses in the sector anticipating that profits in 2016 would be higher than in 2015
For the non-finance sectors, overall:
- nine of the ten indicators were essentially unchanged in the latest quarter; the Future Business Activity indicator declined but remained slightly positive
- for the Wholesale & retail sector, six indicators were essentially unchanged from the previous quarter; two were improved (Business Activity and Employment) and two declined (Input Costs and Future Business Activity)
- for the Construction sector, there was a fall from the overall positive perspective seen in the previous quarter, with five indicators declining, four remaining at essentially the same level, and one improving. The indicators for Future Business Activity and Future Employment declined considerably in the latest quarter, though Future Business Activity remained positive, as throughout 2015
Download Business Tendency Survey report for December 2015 (size 824kb)