22 August 2019
Government staff are working to minimise the impact of the industrial action by civil servants that is planned for tomorrow (Friday, 23 August) and Tuesday (27 August).
While it is difficult to predict what the impact of the strike will be, and usage of services is generally lower during the summer holiday period, officers across Government are working to make sure essential services are carried out safely and efficiently.
Health and Community Services
Throughout the planned industrial action, patients with urgent needs will be cared for and treated as normal, and inpatient services in the Hospital will continue as normal.
- the Emergency Department will operate as normal
- outpatient appointments will run as normal
- the Pathology Laboratories will provide an essential service
- there will be no blood testing on Friday or Tuesday
- there will be no blood donor collection service on Friday or Tuesday
- the patient venesection service will be as normal
- the Hospital Pharmacy will be open for Outpatients until 1pm on Friday and Tuesday – but closed on both afternoons
- Adult Community Services will run their teams and services as normal
Customs and Immigration Service
Jersey Customs and Immigration Service is working closely with the Ports of Jersey and ferry/airline operators to minimise any possible disruption caused and are continually reviewing plans to manage the situation.
Further statements will be issued as required. Passengers are reminded to arrive in good time for flights and ferries heading to Jersey from destinations in mainland Europe.
Customer and Local Services
Customer and Local Services will remain open during the planned strike period, although some services may have limited or no cover. It is possible that waiting times will be longer than usual and that requests may be submitted, but not processed, during visits to the department.
The Department is recommending that customers avoid visiting or calling the department on 23 and 27 August for non-urgent matters.
Timing of industrial action
The civil service trades unions (Prospect and Unite) have planned strike action covering the following periods:
- Friday, 23 August - 9am to 1pm
- Friday, 23 August - 1pm to 5pm
- Tuesday, 27 August - 9am to 1pm
- Tuesday, 27 August - 1pm to 5pm
On Tuesday, 20 August, Unite Jersey sent notification of different strike times for their members on the second day. These are:
- Tuesday, 27 August - 6.30am to 1.30pm
- Tuesday, 27 August - 1.30pm to 10pm