Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Home Affairs Minister explains Future Borders policy

20 October 2020

Len Norman

Statement from the Home Affairs Minister, Connétable Len Norman.

Following the UK’s decision to leave the European Union (EU), free movement of EU nationals in the UK and Jersey will end on 31 December 2020. 

As a result, we have formulated Jersey’s Future Border and Immigration System (FBIS) which will determine how EU nationals will be able to visit, work, study and settle in Jersey, from 1 January 2021.

FBIS will maintain a robust immigration control that meets Jersey's obligations as members of Common Travel Area (CTA) and aligns to the UK immigration controls.

FBIS will allow local employers to still access the labour market outside the CTA. And it will allow people from outside the CTA to study here or join family members who are settled in Jersey.

Where possible, FBIS will align with the proposed Migration Control Policy by reducing net inward migration.

Currently immigration controls only affect those from outside of Europe, however from the 1 January 2021, if you are not British or Irish you’ll need an immigration permission to visit, work, study or settle in Jersey. 

Like the UK we’ve ensured that all those EU nationals who are resident in the Island now can get their immigration permission by applying to the settlement scheme – individuals need to be here by the end of 2020 and have until 30 June 2021 to apply.

From 1 January 2021, EU nationals who come to the Island for the first time, will be able to visit for up to 6 months without a visa.  All those who wish to work, study or settle will need a visa before they arrive.

Anyone who needs a visa to come to Jersey will be subject to criminality checks.

From 1 October 2021, Jersey will not accept insecure EU identity cards as travel documents for newly arriving EU nationals. However, those with settled or pre-settled status will be able to continue using their national identity cards until at least December 2025.

We recognise that Jersey’s demographics are different to that of the UK and the Island relies more heavily on seasonal and temporary workers, particularly in agriculture and hospitality sectors which employs a large number of EU nationals.

Therefore, we have opened up and simplified the immigration routes for those who want to come and work in Jersey.

In same way as our immigration controls are working now, there will be the ability for skilled workers to come to the Island who will be on an immigration permission that could lead to settlement. 

The main criteria for the skilled immigration route are a £30,000 minimum salary, English language test and the job to be at ‘A’ level or an equivalent level.  All these criteria are detailed in the updated Work Permit policy.

There will also be a temporary permission for up to 9 months for those on lower incomes. 

The 9 month permission, will not lead to settlement and will require 3 months absence before, returning for a further 9 month period. 

This route is currently open to the agriculture, fishing and hotel sectors, and we have been working closely with these industries.

Consideration will be given to any other sector who demonstrate the need to employ EU nationals.

There won’t be an immigration cap on the numbers that can come in and work.  We will align with the Control of Housing and Work permissions and rely on the business licenses that have been issued.

Employers of those who need a visa to work in Jersey will need a work permit.

We’ve updated the Work Permit policy and simplified it as we expect there will be a larger number of employers who will need one.

Visas will be needed for those who want to study in the Island and those who want to join family members that are already settled here.

Various other existing immigration routes will be opened to EU nationals including those who wish to establish themselves in business, investors or fulfil trade in international services.

Fees for immigration permissions and work permits won’t be increased for 2021 but will be the same for EU nationals as they are for non-EU nationals now.

Back to top
rating button