Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Changes for EU nationals applying for university places

07 May 2021

EU nationals who are resident in Jersey, and who want to study at university or college in the UK, are being reminded that they need have applied for Settled Status before July 1 to be eligible for Student Finance, and to benefit from new rules on home fees.

As a result of the UK’s exit from the European Union, all EU residents in Jersey are required to apply for Settled Status (if they have been resident in the Island for more than five years) or Pre-Settled Status (if they have been resident in the Island for fewer than five years).

Jersey students already benefit from a UK Government decision which means that they will be charged the same fees as UK-resident students at all universities. Under the new rules, EU nationals can also access home fees if they have applied for, and been granted, Settled Status.

Students who have Pre-Settled Status (ie. have been resident in Jersey for less than five years) are not eligible for home fees at UK universities. 

Settled Status is also a requirement of accessing financial support. Student Finance 
is only available for students who have normally been in Jersey for at least five years and have Settled Status. Students with Pre-Settled Status are not eligible for Student Finance. 
EU nationals who want to apply for Student Finance will need to provide a copy of their passport and Settled Status certificates when they apply ahead of the July 1 deadline.

Students who haven’t yet received their Settled Status certificate can still apply for funding from Student Finance. However, they must provide copies of their immigration status before the start of the academic year.

EU nationals who are already studying for a degree should also apply for Settled Status. They will continue to receive Student Finance up to a cap of £9,250, which is equivalent to home fees.

Any EU national who has not applied for Settled Status, and who is charged international fees by their university will not receive additional Student Finance support.

Assistant Minister for Children and Education, Deputy Scott Wickenden, said: “Given the changes in the UK and in the EU, it’s important that students who are EU nationals know what they’ll need to do.

“I’d urge any students who haven’t yet applied for Settled or pre-Settled status to do so ahead of the July 1 deadline.”
Applications for the Settlement Scheme are available on the Government of Jersey website.
Back to top
rating button