Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Appealing a high hedge decision

​How to appeal a high hedge decision

If you want to appeal a decision made under the High Hedge (Jersey) Law 2008, you will need to do so through the Royal Court. 

You will need to:

  • lodge the appeal within 28 days of the date of notification of the decision
  • consider legal advice

A full copy of the Royal Court appeal procedure is set out in the Royal Court Rules 2004 (as amended). A copy of this document can be obtained from the States Greffe Bookshop. It is also published on the Jersey Law website.

Royal Court Rules 2004 on Jersey Law website

Who can appeal a decision made under the law

Both the complainant and the hedge owner (or occupier of the land on which the hedge is situated) have rights of appeal under the High Hedges (Jersey) Law 2008.

A complainant has a right of appeal where it is considered that the complaint about the hedge is not justified.

The hedge owner (or occupier of the land on which the hedge is situated) has a right of appeal against the decision to uphold a complaint about a high hedge and also about any requirement or condition contained in a remedial notice which requires them to carry out work to a high hedge.​

Back to top
rating button